Why do Americans think socialism is a dirty word, and use it as an insult?

Fox news in America often claims things are socialist or Obama is a socialist (even though they are talking out of their backsides as Obama is in no way socialist). But I what I dont understand is they think they can win an argument by just saying socialist??! They dont argue why its bad - they just say socialist.... show more Fox news in America often claims things are socialist or Obama is a socialist (even though they are talking out of their backsides as Obama is in no way socialist). But I what I dont understand is they think they can win an argument by just saying socialist??! They dont argue why its bad - they just say socialist. But many countries have "socialist" policies which work well and the country loves. The NHS, for all its fault, is considered a great British institution, and the country would be up in arms if it was threatened to be taken away. I understand obviously that the soviet union and china have been oppressive, BUT this does not mean all socialist leaning policies are bad!! Socialism was born out of the most humanitarian ideas of sharing, equality and peace. The idea of communism and socialism is a Utopian idea where noone is poor - why is this spoken about on fox news as if its Nazism??
Update: Thandaar - whats your point?
Update 2: Thandaar - not so, you cant make up stuff like that. You need to educate yourself. Look at Europe.
Update 3: Avg Joe - They were specific partys. It was the oppresive nature of them which was bad, not the ideas of sharing in socialist policies. Look up the word socialism for a definition
Update 4: mark h - its not just me, but the majority of britain, And no i never said britain was socialist! Also george bush would not personally control that