Ganon

Can I drill through a half inch piece of aluminum with a normal power drill?

I need to drill several holes in the bottom of a lightsaber hilt, if I'm going to rewire it, and add sound, otherwise it will be impossible to hear, or at least be muffled. I measured the part I'm drilling through, and it's exactly half an inch. Will I need a different drill bit?

Best Answer

A general high speed steel bit (HSS) will do just fine mate, I'd drill a thinner pilot hole first and keep an eye on the heat of the bits, if they overheat they'll go blunt on you,

That is simplest completed by renting a hammer drill. Draw the circle the place you wish to have it and use 1 / 4 inch masonary bit to drill holes all around the circle about a half inch aside. Take a hammer and knock out the core. You may desire a bloodless chisel to knock off any portions that hinder the gap.

• roger

You cannot use a drill bit designed only for wood (spade, forstner, brad point).

Any drill bit designed to drill metal will work. I would suggest using cutting oil on the bit and go slow.

A drill press is also a good thing to use.

Source(s): BTDT

and use a bit with a negative rake angle and shallow point angle if conventional bit used

Try out the B&D pilot point drill bits, they're great for soft materials like aluminum

and water soluble coolant/lube

• jared

1

Source(s): Woodworking Tips and Tricks http://WoodworkingProjects.enle.info/?uIq4
  • XTX

+++ YES .. your idea is correct and the use of a bit that is made for metal will work fine ,,,a slow to medium speed will cut the aluminum -- if you run the drill on a high speed it does not eat into the aluminum .... try the bit that you have before you spend any $$$'s for a bit that you may not need ....

i think you need a metal bit i mean there all metal but im sure there's one meant for drilling metal haha look it up at your local hardware store good luck man

use a slow speed or the alum will gald [stick] its self to the drill bit

Source(s): maint man