Trav asked in HealthMental Health · 7 years ago

Do I have schizophrenia?

I took multiple tests online (which may not have been the best idea) and every single one of them said i had an early diagnosis to schizophrenia. This may have occured when I started smoking excessive amounts of weed in such a short period of time, because i know that smoking pot can lead to schizophrenia. I know that I have a terrible lifestyle, what with being 14 and smoking weed. My mind has recently been foggy and i cant think straight, I spend long, long amounts of time on the computer, just waiting for god knows what. All i know is that I am supposed to wait. I don't often hear voices in my head, but i have millions of thoughts about killing family and friends. I connect deeply to fiction books, and I tend to believe that they are real. I tend to isolate myself from everyone, I am extremely socially awkward, and whenever I walk down the hallway I feel.... alone, and targeted. I feel like the kids in the hallway want to humiliate me, hurt me, and things like that. Sometimes I get randomly annoyed at nothing, and I think a lot before making decisions, usually with the help of other people. My handwriting becomes messier each year, and I often forget to add some letters. I over react badly to situations. I forget things so easily. I don't enunciate words properly sometimes and I often stutter. I get extremely creeped out when something breaks the silence. I heard that schizophrenia is rare among teens, but I really do think I have it. I did a bit of research and I found that most of these "things" I do are symptoms. But I can't trust my thinking, as I always tend to think on the darker side of things. Do I have schizophrenia?

Favorite Answer

If you like. I am sure you can acquire a psychiatric label for a price.

The history of the term reveals that what constitutes schizophrenia has varied widely over time and between different persons, so much so that the term can mean just about anything a clinician cares to call schizophrenia. In the early days of psychiatry schizophrenia had a limited diagnostic criteria; it fact the criteria were simply what a clinician observed and for which he invented a label: dementia praecox.

The list of criteria has grown and changed.

Between then and now various behaviors labeled schizophrenia have gained popularity or lost favor. In particular, for example, consider so-called childhood schizophrenia caused by refrigerator mothers, for which there is a link below. There are others.

Also in between then and now the practice of poking holes in patients' brains (lobotomy) to allegedly alleviate so-called schizophrenia has lost favor. That is not because people are less likely to believe such schemas; there were always some who believed it and some who didn't when it was more popular. It is because selling anti-psychotic medications is more profitable and less unpalatable to the consumers and their caregivers.

You can look up definitions of schizophrenia, diagnostic criteria currently popular with clinicians.

You should really stop using recreational drugs; it is bad for your mind and physical health.

I think in your case it would help to consult a clinical psychologist who regards you as a unique person, not just a stereotype with a predefined mental illness, and who can help you learn how to help yourself.

Meanwhile here is some philosophy:

Your perceptions and desires are products of conditioning and other sentient experience you have acquired up to this point in life. You can change the contents of your mind, and you can shape your mind to be pro-social, rational, and smarter, too. (That task is part of what is called mental development and, in my opinion, requires a long-term commitment to high quality self-education about the natural world, one’s place in nature, and the history of the evolution of the real world including the life on it.)

Some kinds of suffering are self-imposed although we do not always recognize this to be the case. Instead we are on a sort of automatic behavior method of coping with reality. We can change our sentient experience however by a sort of deconstruction into component parts; from that point it is ultimately a matter of adopting new, rational, wholesome paradigms.

Unless you have brain damage, as in dementia, you will never lose certain mental schemas and memories. Your inner life is largely based on those schemas. The perceptions and sentient experience you have can be moderated and shaped purposefully as long as you are still functioning. Such an approach requires vigilance and practice. It can be enhanced with greater knowledge of the real world and acquisition of critical thinking skills.

MINDFULNESS MEDITATION

Consciousness is a function of a cognitive neural network processing both sensory data and memory. Sentient experience can be subjectively deconstructed into four foundations of mindfulness:

1. Mindfulness of body.

2. Mindfulness of sensation as pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral (physical sensation).

3. Mindfulness of state of mind (attitude, emotion).

4. Mindfulness of content of mind (ideas, learned skills, memory, mental images, beliefs).

For about 20 minutes twice a day:

Sit in a comfortable position, legs crossed and back erect if possible, and with as little noise and distraction as possible. Focus your mind only on your breathing, counting mentally “1 in, 1 out, 2 in, 2 out, 3 in …” and so on for a cycle of four or five breaths. If your mind strays from your breath, which it inevitably will, make the experience the target of mindfulness, attempt to deconstruct the activity as in the above schema, and return to count the breaths mentally.

As you do this there will be the usual background of a continuous stream of thoughts, random or specific ideas, and images, feelings that come and go. Any of these can distract you, but you can just ignore them, too. The brain will do this sort of thing as long as you live. There is no need to suppress any of it; your brain normally processes information via random association or cognitive models you have acquired either on purpose or by random experience. These are the things that usually drive your perceptions and behavior, even your dreams.

Source(s): Not all psychotherapy has been well-founded. You need to shop around, have a wholesome goal in mind that the therapist supports. Poke a hole in the client’s brain and other bad ideas in the history of psychiatry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosurgery http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_the... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_shock_therapy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardive_dyskinesia http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedc... Two simple approaches to mind shaping: "How to Enjoy Your Life in Spite of It All" by Ken Keyes, Jr. "A New Guide to Rational Living" by Albert Ellis & Robert A. Harper See comments by Denim at this site: http://mwillett.org/Debate/viewtopic.php?t=14006