B asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 7 years ago

Building a carport out of wood designed after metal carports a good idea?

I want to build a carport out of wood without a permenant foundation. I was wondering if framing it like the metal ones would work. Im good enough at working with wood to do it. Framing like the ones in carport.com. Im thinking freespaning trusses...or more accurately "arches"

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes,.Like a Pole Barn,..4x4's directly in the ground,..with sleepers for metal(normal),..or sheetmetal horizontal ordered the correct length..,..

http://www.carport.com/

You can always pour a foundation after the fact,..If you saw a need.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Learn Woodworking http://givitry.info/WoodworkingProjects
  • lackey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Build Wood Carport

• Janine
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

If the tree isn't in the way, try standing on top of the house roof(not the carport itself), squirt some dish liquid soap on the roof at the high end(attached to the house roof), and then spray it with a pressure washer. You might need a stiff bristle brush for some places, but mostly the pressure washer will do the job. I've used this technique several times, and it almost always goes smoothly. Good Luck. :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rick
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

No foundation is just a bad decision, and here's why. First, if you leave somewhere where it's gets to 32 degrees or below, the ground freezes and this will cause the slab to (what is called) "heave". That means it it actually rises. That will cause the slab to crack (even with steel rebars in it) and displace up and down. Second a straight concrete slab (at 4" thick) cannot support the load of the framing you want to place on it (as well as the weight of an automobile). This will cause the concrete to break. If you want to frame with wood, you need to identify what the "frost line" depth is in whatever region you live. Here in Maryland for example it's 30". That means your footings need to be dug to 30" depth below the ground level. From that point you need to pour a minimum of 8" thick by 16" wide to support the structure. You have a choice of either pouring the footing solid up to 2"-3" below the grade/ground outside and lay 1 course of cinder block, or just pour 8" thick and bring it up above grade with 4-5 courses of cinder block, or you can form it with boards and pour the whole thing footings and slab in one pour (called a monolithic pour).

Source(s): remodel contractor
  • 4 years ago

Here are literally thousands of organized woodworking projects in a members area and all you have to do is get them off your computer any time you want. Go here https://tr.im/3gKv0

There are thousands of plans so decide which one you are going to tackle next. The choice is yours to make so just click on the proper button for the specific project and then they are right there for you to pick one. The diagrams and instructions will be right there in the computer for you to access at any time or if you prefer you can print them out.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

In the event that you are searching for woodworking plans you can discover a huge number of woodworking plans on this website ( woodworkingplans.kyma.info ) It's the perfect result in the event that you are simply starting with woodworking and also in case that you have already experience with it. You can discover a ton of woodworking arrangements and you will have the capacity to deal with the projects with a CAD/DWG software. It permits you to alter the projects and to alter the arragements.if you are a beginner this is a great approach to start. It's the best approach to woodworking; and on the off chance that you already have experience you will discover a considerable measure of plans and inspirations to improve your capabilities with woodwork.

• Harry
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

since wood is not as strong as steel, i would go ahead and crosstie the trusses. besides having a structure underneath allows you to cover or side the carport nicely

Source(s): i have built many, and rebuilt a whole lot more.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

I personally recommend metal because it lasts longer and is more stable. As for no foundation, i do not think thats a good idea. Anything built with foundation has a more sturdy feel and lasts longer.

Source(s): Contractor
  • XTX
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

=== this is a great idea and since you ask --- my suggestion to you is to use metal/iron poles that are anchored in post hole sized digs that will` anchor the thing to the floor == get a welder to fix the iron to hold the roof supports and thus you are secure and avoid a slab foundation [[ easily add a slab at a later time ]] .......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.