Why Would Blood Pressure NOT Come Down After Body Cleansing?

About a week and half ago I started to get a constant ache on my right hip and lower groin area. Would rub some menthol ointment on it or let hot water run on it and it would be fine for a day or two. I am on Hypertension meds but have my BP under control. As time went on the dull ache go worse and worse. I also noticed the top number on my BP was staying high... 180 - 190 but the bottom number stayed 77, 78 and 80. Pulse was 67-78. It's usually 126-130/67 73, P 58 66.

It got so bad I went to ER last night, they took a back X-ray and it showed my upper abdomen had a lot of poop in it and I had gas pockets around the hip and back area. Doc gave me some Dulcolax to clean me out and a shot in my hip area to ease the ache and one Vicoden.

The Dulcolax is working fine but the hip and back area is now down to a slight ache. What I can't understand is why is my BP won't go down. In the ER it was 200/90. P/73. I have White Coat Syndrome. It did go down a little before I left.

Nurse said my body was stressed out from all the poop and gas in it and as soon as my body was back to normal my BP would be back down to normal. Other than the hip ache and gas I feel fine. No dizziness, nausea or high fever.

I took my BP meds today and my BP goes down then a while later it's right back up again. I'm monitoring my BP every 3-4 hours. I'm going to see my PP tomorrow.

Any one ever had this before or know what's going on with my BP? Thanks

Favorite Answer

Have you been checked for a diverticular infection? Up until the last few years, I had problems with constipation and was hospitalized with severe pain in my lower back, left side and groin pain. It was so bad that I couldn't sit. I went to emergency where they did lab work and I was full of infection.

For the last few years, my digestive health has been a lot better since I have been taking probiotics. I feel so much better.

I am not a Dr. Nor am I knowledgeable about medical treatments. The best thing you can do is explain to your Dr. What you have told us here.

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.

Pain will cause your blood pressure to be high.

I have had mild to moderate hypertension for several years. As a nurse, I was taught one cannot feel when the B/P begins to elevate. Wrong. I monitor mine, maybe once a week, but if I am feeling not right, I check it then. I have had my hypertensive drugs changed a few times, always with good results, should I find it creeping up again, I see my Doc and take a list of how the readings have been. He will then adjust the meds as he thinks will do the best. I try to maintain readings of never over 130/80, but shoot for 120/65.

See your primary care doc and take a B/P history, discuss with him your target range,

Er is not all that great for figuring out what exactly caused the problem --they deal with the urgent issue but you should schedule followup with your regular doc for two reasons : 1. Determine what is causing the constipation (and BTW the vicodin will make that worse). 2. Determine what caused the pain in your hip and groin (if this persists, as constipation usually causes abdominal pain more than hip or groin pain. Groin pain would be concerning for possible kidney stone in the ureter as that refers pain to the groin, also kidney stone or something else could cause the ileus that in turn caused constipation) . 3. Blood pressure management better in primary are setting. (Oops, haha, I guess that was "three" reasons.)

Good luck, hope this settles down for you.

Have you tried drinking Chamomile tea? 2 tea bags to one mug of Hot water does wonders to lower Blood pressure. I used to wake up with high blood pressure in the middle of the night, 190/100....Chamomile brought it right down again. I too have had back and hip pain due to constipation. But I never associated it with High Blood Pressure. I too have white coat hypertension. But seriously, try the chamomile. It really helps.

Maybe there's other things to consider and check. Blood Pressure can have a number of causes: diet, overweight, smoking, not enough exercise, clogged veins and arteries, etc.

My S.O. had hip pains and they found that she was suffering from cartilage deterioration. Since then, she's had both hips and both knees replaced (to good effect, I have to say)

Your G.P. should set you up with a visit to a good hip specialist.

• Krista

Reducing your salt intake and getting plenty of exercise helps. Fish oil, garlic and apple cider vinegar all help and for further information a search for "high blood pressure" + "natural remedies" might perhaps be of interest.

Whenever I think too much about my blood pressure, I seem to get nervous and the pressure goes up.

I would say give it a week, and then see your doctor. I have had gas and bowel problems all of my life and had many cleansings. I know your problem too well.

why would your BP go down after body clensing????

so you have abused your body..have you figured out how to prevent that in the future? Yeah your BP was high. High like that means you've stressed your system and your heart and were headed for a heart attack. So are you ready to start your vegetarian diet? And lose some weight? And exercise? So it's good you're seeing your PP.

You should read "The Blood Pressure Solution" (also available in electronic format, watch the video presentation here: http://www.fixbloodpressure.com ) It's a very comprehensive step-by-step book that walks you through the natural remedies of high blood pressure. It provides you with a lot of information on what foods to eat, how you can acquire and prepare these foods, how you can change your lifestyle for the better, how to eliminate the toxins from your body, how to reduce stress, how you can check your blood pressure level the correct way etc.

The book is amazing in that it not only lowers your blood pressure without the help of medications; it also aids you in having a life that is healthy, happier, and less stressful. This book chanced my life.

At a guess I'd say that all this constant BP taking, is keeping it high ! No wonder its up - leave the machine alone and it will go down of its own accord.