Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Abbey asked in PetsOther - Pets · 8 years ago

Emotional Support Animal?

Is there such thing as an emotional support dog? Ive had severe anxiety my whole life and i cant be alone. I have always had pets and they make me feel better knowing that i have something if not a person with me. I am getting a puppy next month and i was wondering if there was a way that it would be aloud to take him with me when i go places( shopping, stores ect.) Im not someone who wants to take a dog for the attention. Im getting a pup to suppress my anxiety and not have to depend on another person to be there all the time with me. It would make it alot easier for me to leave my house and do everyday things?

Please no rude/mean comments

• ?
    Favorite Answer

To have an emotional support animal you must either be legally disabled under ADA standards or elderly.

You must also be under the care of a mental health professional, and have a note from one justifying the need, if you want to have them in no pets housing or flying in cabin on an airplane.

Unlike disabled persons with service dogs that generally have unlimited public access, emotional support animals are not afforded the same. They are not allowed to go into public places where dogs are not allowed. They are only given special consideration in no pets housing or flying in cabin on airplanes.

Here's a good website for information on emotional support animals:

http://servicedogcentral.org/content/ESA

If you don't need a note for no pets housing or to fly in cabin on an airplane, the animal would just be a pet.

.

Source(s): Service dog owner/handler and ADA service dog law violation investigator
  • Kate M

Emotional support animals are not the same as service animals. Service animals receive special training to help someone with a disability as well as to learn to behave properly in public areas. This usually takes a couple years before a dog is ready to be placed with a disabled person. While some people do train their own dog, they are still subject to the same rules as professional trained dogs. Most do not start to train specific tasks until the dog is about 1 year old.

If your anxiety is severe enough, you might be able to get and use a service dog. However, getting a professionally trained dog can take a few years as there are long wait lists. Training your own dog can be an option.

Right now, the puppy you get will not be able to go anywhere you go. It will just be a regular puppy and only be allowed to go places that pet dogs are allowed.

there are emotional support animals..

BUT

they do NOT have the same rights as a service dog. ESA are not allowed in grocery stores and such. they are allowed in housing that is normally not pet-friendly, and have limited access on airlines for travel. Otherwise, only allowed where a pet would be allowed.

It is important to note that having a diagnosis of a mental illness, by itself, is not sufficient to qualify a person for an ESA unless that illness is so severe it disables them. Only a judge can truly determine whether a person is legally disabled. However, a doctor can probably make a medical determination of a person's disability and on that basis prescribe an ESA. To qualify as disabled under federal disability rights laws, a person must experience substantial limitations on one or more major life activities because of their mental illness.

Unfortunately, I do not think you can get a dog that you can bring into places, unless if you are physically disabled.

BUT don't let this discourage you! You can still get a dog, but you just won't be able to bring it into restaurants and whatnot.

:) I hope I helped

Oh, and I wish you luck with your anxiety.. <3