Exchange Student HELP?

I'm 15 and I've been in Germany for 3 days from America and every day I just cry. I'm suppose to be here for 6 months and I just don't know how to do it. My host family is really nice but the only one who is ever home is the mom and she cant understand me ever. We always get so frustrated that we cant understand each other so I always just go up to my room and just sit for hours and hours. I miss home so much and every time I talk to my mom or my boyfriend (we've been together 1 year and a half) I just break down. I cant really go out and doing anything and I just want some tips to make this six months better, or even bearable.

Favorite Answer

As an 8-time host mom, I can tell you that ALL exchange students will feel homesick at some time.

If you've only been here for 3 days, you're still jet-lagged and are dealing with culture shock. Give it some time. You'll figure out things to do. For example, if you and your host mom are having problems with communication, try writing things down.

After the first week, you really need to limit the amount of contact (phone calls, Skype, FaceBook, text messages, SMS, chat, etc etc etc) you have with anyone who isn't American. Believe it or not, more frequent contact makes you more homesick.

Get involved with activities. Go to the school basketball games. Pick a random person at lunch and just sit down by them. There are all kinds of things.

It will get better if you put some work into it.

Talk to your local coordinator, but don't freak out -- it's only been a few days. Things don't change overnight.

Good luck to you.

Source(s): I am an 8-time host mom and volunteer with YFU USA

I am so sorry, I would talk to your advisor, shouldnt there be a companion for you or something? Why are you exactly there? where is your companion?