What do you think of the 2013 Oscar Nominees?

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards was announced today. Lincoln tops the list with 12 nods. With the nominations released, what do you think of this year's nominees? Do you think anyone or a movie got snubbed? Share with us your thoughts!

See the full list: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-oscars/2013-osc...

• Mia
    Best Answer

Kind of surprised that Perks of Being a Wallflower didn't make it, considering it was better than the majority of the movies listed there. I guess the "teen movies" are always under-rated.

• Tony

I've only seen 4 of the nominees: Lincoln, Django Unchained, The Avengers, and Prometheus. I didn't like Lincoln, but really liked Django Unchained. Out of 5 stars, I gave Lincoln 2 stars, Django Unchained 3.5 stars, The Avengers 3 stars, and Prometheus 2 stars. Prometheus is a good contender for its category, Visual Effects. I think my tastes are completely opposite of Hollywood. I was bored and disappointed with Lincoln, but liked the cinematography, especially near the end when Lincoln is leaving the White House to go to Ford Theatre.

During the announcement of the nominees, I liked a few of the jokes Seth made, including this one, after he read the nominees for Best Director:

"These are five people who are the very best at sitting in a chair watching other people make a movie."

Personally, I'm not particularly interested in the Oscars. And there's a number of reasons for this.

1. It's usually the same people, nominated every year. Albeit, many of them are brilliant actors, it needs a bit more variety. Which leads me to my next point...

2. The Oscars, renowned worldwide, are too focused on movies produced by directors from the US, with actors from the US. For such a prestigious awards ceremony, known to such a large global community, it sure doesn't reach much beyond the borders of the US (Of course there are exceptions, like "The Life Of Pi" this year, but that's just it, they're exceptions)

3. What is all the fuss about the Oscar's REALLY about? About appreciating art, how someone sees things and portrays them for the audience, how the director/actor etc. wants to convey a message? That's wonderful, and I'm sure that many of the people involved have wonderful personalities, and may be regular people, but this continues to put too much appreciation for people who haven't really contributed anything particularly positive to society. Each time the Oscar's come on, I wonder, wouldn't it be amazing if we could appreciate Doctors, Nurses, Firemen, Teachers etc. in this way as well?

I won't lie, I like to sometimes go out for a movie to relax. But the attention placed on movies and superstars really baffles me.

Thus, I don't have much of an opinion on nominee's in particular. I don't find scanning the lists of nominee's particularly enjoyable. I will just mention from what I've heard: Perhaps Lincoln will win a few awards, and Life Of Pi, as I've heard it's a good movie.

Edit: Feel free to dislike my comment based on my own personal opinion, and not on what the media wants me to say :)

Most of the Nominees are from Films released in the later stages of 2012 in the United Kingdom but in my opinion some of the best films are released later in the year. However I think The Oscar Nominees have been chosen well but some films released in mid- 2012 or even at the start of 2012 deserved it more!

answer here:

The Oscar 2013 Nominations List

I haven't see all the films in the "Oscar Race", but from the ones I have, I believe:

Madame Judi Dench received a double snub for not being nominated for both her moving final portrayal of M in Skyfall and for not being included in the Best Actress shortlist for her lovely performance in "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel".

The latter film also excluded from all the categories, the most prominent snub being the Best Supporting Actress, since Maggie Smith was definably a performance not to be ignored.

Skyfall, IMO, deserved to be included in the Best Film category. However, the Academy obviously will make amendments, since it was announced that in the Awards Night the 50th anniversary of the Bond Films will have an honorary presentation.

I haven't seen Argo, but from what I read Ben Affleck being ignored both as a director and an actor was a surprise. However, he received a nod for his writing.

Marion Gotillard and John Hawkes were snubbed from the Best Actress/Actor shortlists for their performance as handicapped persons, which usually convince the Academy members for merit.

Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren were both excluded for their performances in Hitchcock.

Moonrise Kingdom only received one nod, while it was prompt for more.

Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino were both excluded, even if they were nominated by the Directors Guild - which is considered as a sure bet for Oscar nods.

The Hobbit was almost ignored, but being only the first film of a trilogy it can somehow be "excused. However, the Dark Knight Rises, the last part of a trilogy, certainly deserved some more merit, even in the technical categories.

Now, about surprises: The Beasts of the Southern Wild received much more that anticipated, as was the Silver Linings Playbook, which made Oscar history for being among the very few films having nods in all the acting categories. The Lief of Pi was expected big, but not that big. Lincoln was much expected to dominate, as it did. Seth McFarlane had a deserved and honorary nod, I believe, for Best Song, however the award is already locked for Adele. McFarlane seems like a real breath of fresh air as a presenter - his lines were actually funny!

That's all about it, IMO.

• The biggest snubs here are of course those in the Directors category. Ben Affleck directed, in my opinion, the best movie of 2012 in Argo - how does he not get a nod? It was nice to see him win the Critics Choice Award for best director, even though it obviously does not compare to Oscar. Also snubbed in that category, Kathryn Bigelow - she seemed like a lock, and had potential to win, but seemingly didn't get a nod because of the controversy over Zero Dark Thirty. I honestly thought the award would come down to those 2 or Spieldberg, and now this category got a whole lot more boring, as now Spieldberg is the clear favorite for Lincoln, perhaps with an outside chance for David O. Russel of Silver Linings Playbook.

As for the major categories, I think Lincoln will probably win the Best Picture (despite being, in my opinion, kind of dry compared to Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Les Miserables, or Silver Linings Playbook). For Best Actor, Daniel Day Lewis has it in the bag. Best actress, to me, is the most exciting category as it was last year with the unpredictable two horse race between Viola Davis and Meryl Streep (I believe Davis got robbed, but Streep is undeniably good). This year the two actresses going head to head are 2nd time nominees Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence (for ZDT and SLP, respectively). I think Chastain is the favorite, and possibly more deserving, but I think this is kind of reminicent of when it was either Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth or Gwenyth Paltrow for Shakespeare in Love. Blanchett was the heavy favorite, and had the better performance, but Paltrow just wooed everyone with her charm and likability and won. That could happen with Jennifer Lawrence, who is at the moment, America's Sweet Heart. I also don't think we should count out Naomi Watts for this years "what? she hasn't won one yet" spot. A talented actress for years, Watts had a great physical and emotional showing in The Impossible, a movie that she was the heart of. I believe that movie should have been nominated for more things, it was truely amazing (Tom Holland, anyone? How about Ewan McGregor? Flawless performances). Anyway, the Best Actress category is also interesting for the old nominee ever, Emmanuelle Riva, and the youngest Quvenzhane Wallis

As for the supporting roles, I think supporting actor comes down to Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln and Philip Seymour Hoffman for the Master. I think TLJ might have the edge due to the mixed reviews of The Master in general. As for the Best Supporting Actress, it's all about Anne Hathaway in Les Mis, which is a shame because Sally Field was great in Lincoln, and Helen Hunt sparked a great comeback in the Sessions, like The Impossible, a terribly underrated movie, that deserved more nominations (John Hawkes! Come on, Academy)

Overall it should be an interesting awards night!

I saw the movie "Lincoln" and loved it. But that is the only movie I have seen yet. But when I saw it I knew right away that Daniel Day Lewis really deserves the Oscar. The portrayal left Lincoln once again in the hearts and minds of this country. But if you really want to know how far Lincoln was loved, go to another country and you will find Lincoln right up there with most of the other great leaders of all time.

The song nomination for Les Mis is totally whack. When you have so many superior songs to choose from - "I Dreamed A Dream", "Red and Black", "Master of the House", "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables", "Stars" FOR STARTERS - you go with "Suddenly"? Pretty weak pick from a bloody musical. I hope Adele whoops that song hard and gets an Oscar.

Also, Javier Bardem was robbed. His turn in Skyfall was perfection and deserves at least a nomination. Same with Jamie Foxx in Django Unchained. At least Christoph Waltz got a nod!

Source(s): I have seen Les Miserables, Skyfall, and Django Unchained (all mentioned above).
  • Star

Probably the only movie worth mentioning is LINCOLN. In today's world, it seems thinking about the 2013 nominations for the Oscars is a bit non productive. I seem to be more concerned about losing the 2nd Amendment, trying to make heads or tails of what REALLY happened at Sandy Hook, and if it was all a set up, among a multitude of other issues.

The Oscars are a huge fücking joke. They don't actually like popular movies, just boring old people movies. Out of all the 8 movies nominated for Best Picture, I have only heard of 3 of them. I have some very tragic breaking news: Winning an Oscar is an insult.