Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Good Biographies in Middle School?

My teacher wants us to read a biography or a nonfiction book for a report except I don't know which one. I'm in 7th grade

• Kelley
    Favorite Answer

SMall Steps by Peg Kehret - Peg Kehret has written many books for young adults. This is her autobiography of her battle with polio when she was 12. Two of my daughters were required to read this book while in middle school. It's interesting while still being very readable.

Bomb by Stephen Sheinkin - non-fiction account of how the first nuclear bomb was made during World War II. Not a difficult read and a very interesting look at some incredibly brightest people like Robert Oppenheimer and Albert Einstein. They did what Sheldon Cooper of Big Bang Theory would be doing if he were alive then.

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's SHadow by Susan Bartoletti - These are first hand accounts of those who followed Hitler when they were young and those who fought against him. You get a feel for what it was like growing up in Germany before the start of World War II.

American Plague by Jim Murphy - historical account of the Yellow Fever Epidemic in the late 1700's. I really enjoyed the pages of newspapers from the 1700's printed in the book. It made it all seem more real to me.

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai - Written in verse and very readable, it's the story of one girl's emigration to the United States from Vietnam in the early 1970's.

Lost on a Mountain in Maine by Donn Fendler - true account of 12 year old Fendler being lost in the wilderness for 9 days.

Phineas Gage: A Gruesome But True Story About Brain Science by John Fleischman - In 1848, Phineas Gage got a 13 pound iron bar lodged in his head. It went through the top of his head and emerged under his right eye. He lived, making him a marvel of brain science. This is a really interesting book.

• Night- eli wisel

The Diary of Anne Frank

A Child Called It...This one is a bit more graphic but i read it in 7th grade

More About a Boy-Roald Dahl