Grand Canyon by Airplane?

Taking my parents to the Grand Canyon as an anniversary gift. Want it to be very special. I'm told that airplane tours to the South Rim are the way to go?

Favorite Answer

Hi,

I strongly suggest taking an airplane tour from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon's South Rim.

Sure, you can rent a car and do it but the trip over will take 5.5 hours. Not sure how much time you have but if this is a day trip (and I suspect it is), expect to spend upwards of 12 hours on the road.

By contrast, the direct airplane flight from Las Vegas to the South Rim is 45 minutes. The flight over is also spectacular and features some awesome scenery. By my estimation, you'll probably have seen 75 percent of the National Park by the time this tour wraps.

Most of these SR airplane tours include a 2.5 hour bus tour inside the National Park. The more deluxe versions also come with a helicopter ride, which goes from the South Rim to the North Rim and back.

Here are a couple of links about these air tours that you might want to bookmark as you research your options:

Vegas/South Rim Airplane w/ bus

http://www.grandcanyonairplanetours.net/grand-cany...

Vegas/South Rim Airplane w/ helicopter & Bus

http://www.grandcanyonhelicoptertourreviews.com/pa...

Hope that helps.

Have a terrific flight!

If you want to know the truth, "the way to go" is to rent a car, drive yourself to the South Rim, and spend a night or two at the park. That gives you the most freedom and flexibility to see areas of the Grand Canyon that a day tour just doesn't have time to even touch. So if you can possibly modify your schedule to accommodate that, you won't regret it.

But if that's not an option, then a Las Vegas Grand Canyon tour is the next best thing. There are many booking agencies online, but in reality, they are working with a core group of 3 companies offering Las Vegas Grand Canyon South Rim air/ground day tours: Scenic/Grand Canyon Airlines, who are a subsidiary of the Papillon Helicopters group; Maverick Airlines, who are affiliated with the helicopter flight operator of the same name; and Vision Airlines.

Tours between the 3 operators will be similar in terms of length, logistics and price. All will give you about 3 hours at the park, or substitute about 1 hour of ground time with a 30-minute helicopter tour. The biggest differences between the 3 companies are type of aircraft used. Scenic/GCA uses 19-seat deHavilland Twin Otters; Maverick runs 19-seat Beechcraft 1900's and Vision uses 19- and 30-seat Dorniers. All are twin engine planes flown by two crew members. Scenic's Twin Otters are retrofitted with larger windows. Vision's Dorniers have fairly good size windows as well.

You generally get the best price by booking directly through the tour companies. See the source box below for appropriate links.

Hope that helps.

Source(s): www.grandcanyon.com www.grandcanyonairlines.com www.maverickairlines.com www.visionholidays.com

check out the river rafting and dessert princess which is 25.00 and for 45minutes nice ferry boat ride grand canyon tours is good site too I live here so I know