please can someone help me with this its urgent and im scared?

please can somebody tell me if this is tonsillitus or something, only if you know what you're talking about. the one on the right (on the left in person) is larger than the other one and it hurts when i swallow. bits of food sometimes get stuck behind the red bit of skin and the tonsil and come out every now and again as little white/cream coloured lumps which smell awful. i had glandular fever about 8 months ago and my doctor keeps saying thats why theyre inflamed, but this doesnt look like normal large tonsils to me. someone please help im so scared.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92015221@N05/83650605...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92015221@N05/83639977...

just to inform everyone my doctor has prescribed me domperidome and antibiotics before neither of which have worked. if anything, they have made them more inflamed. only scared because theyre getting worse and often swell so i can feel them when i breath in and out (as they are now). sore, the skin around them is red, furry tongue, bad breath, and they are sore as anything when i swallow. (feels like its at the top of my neck underneath where my tonsils are but not my tonsils i think, if that makes sense). still inside my mouth, but further down. however i can poke the smaller tonsil with no pain but the massive one hurts when it gets a gentle jab.

Favorite Answer

edit: " you should do a throat culture to determine whether it's a bacterial or fungal infection and know exactly which antibiotic to take. however I've read that it's possible for glandular fever to come back in some cases..

there is no specific treatment for glandular fever. (however there are things you should do to avoid getting worse, and tests you can take to make sure its not affecting some other part of your body like the liver or spleen) Antibiotics are not helpful, as this is a virus infection. In fact there is one antibiotic, ampicillin, which is more likely to cause a rash if given to people with glandular fever. I got everything about glandural fever from google since I don't really know anything about it, but I found a lot of information from random sites and even people who had it. you can do that too.

"bits of food sometimes get stuck behind the red bit of skin and the tonsil and come out every now and again as little white/cream coloured lumps which smell awful."

that happens to me too, and some other people I know, it's annoying but I don't think its dangerous, you can ask a doctor though.

"please can somebody tell me if this is tonsillitus or something, only if you know what you're talking about. the one on the right (on the left in person) is larger than the other one and it hurts when i swallow."

I used to get tonsillitis all the time as a kid. I am not quite sure if that's it..When I got sick I had a sore throat, couldn't swallow, high fever and vomiting. In an older age swallowing wasn't as hard and I didn't vomit. I am not sure your tonsils have white on them(pus). If they do, it's likely you have tonsillitis.why are you scared though? okay, getting sick is never pleasant but tonsilitis is a common not dangerous disease. I used to get streptococcal tonsillitis which was easily treatable with an antibiotic, it goes away very soon after you start taking it.

however, that could be if they turned that way recently, and you have developed some of the symptoms. I don't know about the case of having them that way for months.

so if they just recently became enlarged and sore, is is possible that it is an infection, a tonsillitis or something else. the safest way to a definitive diagnosis is made based on the results of a throat culture. (they get a sample by touching your tonsils with a throat swab, it doesn't hurt or anything and it's super fast). so just go to a doctor, or call one at home if you are feeling very sick, and ask them to do that, the sample is put in a special cup (culture) that allows infections to grow, and you will get the results in 1-2 days, (or at least that happens in greece) and once you know what its about, I mean your doctor knows it will be treated safely and fast :) don't worry!

don't worry, i'm House M.D. also it's lupus ok have fun

Source(s): it's never lupus except for that one time when it was lupus