Should homeless people be forced to join the army?

I was thinking if homeless people should be forced to join the army. I mean they will get food and shelter and if they die,they will a hero given a proper funeral rather than if they remained on the street.Its not a serious thought I wanted to see what you guys would think. It's just food for thought.Remeber it's not that serious so relax.

• Lee
    Best Answer

Maybe...

Not forced though. As it was infringe on personal rights. Buuuut I mean I can see possible reasons as to why the government would do it anyway... kind of like selective service lol.

I see you're from Canada, so I don't need to bash your intelligence, maybe it's a little different up there. You see, here in the US, a good number of homeless people were already forced to join the army (back in the 1960's there was this thing called "the draft")--and that's a big part of the reason they are homeless. The Vietnam homeless are starting to die off now. It used to be that more than half of the homeless were military veterans, and most war veterans. The statistics are starting to change about what percentage come from which war and what portion of the homeless never served in the military, but the truth is still the same--war seriously screws a lot of people up and we do little to help them after it does. And then when some 20-something punk (you probably) who was never forced and would certainly never volunteer to serve his country sees someone who lost his mind for his country on the street you have a 'let them eat cake' solution to the problem.

Don't worry, when I was 17 I thought that the answer to crime was to drive tanks into the drug dealer's houses. We all say stuff like that when we are young and stupid.

Well, if you want to consider it logically, then it is liable to be a bad idea for the most part, unless you simply wish to use them as cannon fodder. The military needs people who are fit and can do the job while following orders. I don't think many homeless people would fit that description, so they would only serve to make that military branch weaker, unless you intend to use them as a throwaway asset. I wonder how many citizens would feel those homeless should be used that way, though, as if their lives were only good enough for throwing away.

We actually tried that within the homeless communities in the United Kingdom during the mid 90's and it had limited success, due to medical and dental issues. Some had to be discharged straight away as the dental costs would have been astronomical. There were cases when recruits had to put in holding platoons to build up their weight due to malnutrition. There is also the erratic life style with drug/alcohol dependency in some cases.

so nice idea but we tried it!

Source(s): Over 22 years still serving

Truth be told, I think this is a great idea. Obviously considering if said homeless people don't have a drug abusive background that is / some physical disability. Not only they'll be doing themselves a +, but they'll also be doing the country a favour by serving. Everyone wins.

I also think that people who abused Welfare checks, via reason of not attaining a job; should also be forced to join the armed forces after a duration of time. Perhaps 2 years w/o a stable job.

Screening out the homeless who are mentally and physically incompetent and therefore of no value to the military would be cost prohibitive. Also, who would go out and find these guys (and gals)? Images of military marching through the streets and scooping up the homeless is not one I'd want to see in my home town.

About twenty percent of all homeless people are of serious diminished capacity and I doubt if they could pass any kind of physical or mental fitness test - and basically need help.

On the other hand the other 80% of the homeless are pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers, drug addicts, level III sex offenders, homosexuals, and petty criminals in general - they deserve an American Foreign Legion.

I think they should go and live with you. You could have a few of them move in with you so that you could feed and clothe them. You could then convince all of your friends and family that they should do it too, and then pretty soon all of the homeless have a home? Problem solved!

The military doesn't have a use for a bunch of drug addicted nut jobs.

• Adnama

Being homeless is not a crime. Many people are homeless because of untreated mental illness or addiction. Some who are homeless CHOOSE to be homeless. So no, they should not be forced to join the army. That's ridiculous and ignorant.

Should all retarded people be allowed to use the internet. Come on now Im sure you can think of better shocking stuff to add here