Sean
Sean asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Conservative, what spending should we cut?

As a liberal, I say we should cut military spending by at least another 25 billion, end the war on drugs, end oil subsidies and factory farm subsidies.

I don't use food stamps. Since I live in a blue state, I am the one who pays for the food stamps used in red states.

Favorite Answer

We spend far too much on the military. If other countries can sport armies we're afraid of, and they spend about 10% as much as us on their military, it appears self-evident that we do not have an efficiently run military. Plus we spend almost as much as the rest of the world combined. Pull out of all our overseas bases we don't need, slash spending sustainability.

Then we can set in place a "living wage" policy in each state that adjusts to cost of living. Currently cost of living is increasing at a rate 379% that of wages. Imagine how irrelevant food stamps would be if people could actually afford to buy food.

We could also adopt single-payer healthcare. Healthcare currently makes up 7% of the average household's expenses. If the state provided healthcare it would be more efficient for hospitals, less costly, and deliver better quality healthcare. Plus it wouldn't cost taxpayers that much. Let's take Sweden for example. The worker at the median income pays 24.8% in income tax and payroll taxes combined, only 2.0% higher than in the United States, and they have an extensive welfare state. That means that the average US household would save 5% more of their income with single-payer universal healthcare at the least. More money in a taxpayer's pocket will likely mean more money being spent in the marketplace, and of course more revenue for businesses.

Another idea is to lower corporate taxes to competitive levels (in some states the corporate tax is 50% when combined with federal taxes), and exempt starting businesses from taxes for the first couple years.

There's just a few ideas.

• Philip

A couple of people say "cut welfare." What exactly does that mean?

Someone else says, "if we cut oil subsidies, prices will go up." In the first place, there is no guarantee that is true. In the second place, it would mean that the actual consumers would be paying, not everyone. In the third place, how do continued subsidies jive with the so-called free market? In the fourth place, how anyone justify multi-billion dollar welfare schemes for America's biggest industry yet decry food stamps and health care for the poor?

• ?

I'm a conservative and I also agree military spending is far too high. The War On Drugs is a lost cause. I think these things should not so much be encouraged or legalized, but decriminalized. We have lots of dangerous prescription medications that are just as deadly as some illegal substances.

If you end oil subsidies and factory farm subsidies, prices will go up. That will hurt the economy. Maybe if we quit spending every cent we had, the value of the dollar would go up.

• Brat

I say cut the "offense" out of defense. We do not need any of our military overseas. Ending the war on drugs will stop alot of border violence, plus save mucho dinero poured into enforcing a draconian law.

Now let's not forget about leftie's pet- welfare and entitlements. I say cut them drastically, but not overnight, as that would cause unnecessary violence. Wean ppl off them, plus by bringing home all of our troops, they'll be spending their money here, helping the economy. In turn, it will bring ppl up off of welfare. Plus if you retract entitlements, you stop illegal immigration. If you get rid of all the cheese, you also get rid of your mouse problem!

We can also cut a few un-needed government departments, and of course, all foreign aid.

Welfare & EPA. Gone tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

Also the states have got to stop prostituting the schools out to the fed govt if we are ever going to have a first class educational system again.

Get rid of welfare and food stamps

• Amanda

Cut entitlements.

Ya well I'm conservative and I say we cut general welfare

• Nels

foreign aid for one thing

Your foodstamps .