Navy EOD tech vs Air Force EOD tech? Which is better?

So I'm interested in joining the military and more so being an EOD tech, so which is better for EOD Navy or Air Force?

Best Answer

Personally, I believed then, and still believe now, that the Navy has the best EOD Program that suited my interests the best (explosives, being in the water, & small arms; I didn't care much about jumping out of the planes, but did it anyway).

Navy EOD is NOT a part of U.S. SOCOM, but it is a part of the Naval Special Operations Community (only in the Navy); however, it still receives a part of the budget from USSOCOM. Navy EOD has the best budget among Military EOD Units; and in real life, more money = more/better/newer equipment and training (after the pipeline).

Though all EOD Candidates from all branches go to the same EOD School, Army, USAF, & USMC EOD Candidates will start a class together; Navy will have its own class. Also, Navy EOD Candidates will have to be in EOD School about 2 months longer than the others, because of the Underwater Ordnance Division.

If you are interested in electronics & explosives, but do not want to do the other stuffs like diving and/or parachuting, then go with USAF EOD; afterall, a Crab is a Crab. Furthermore, Navy EOD Pipeline is the longest and has the highest attrition rate than other EOD Units, because of all the addtional training.

BTW, I have research this subject many years ago, before I decided on the Navy. And while I was in the Navy, I have come across and talked to many different EOD Techs from other branches (and even other countries) to confirm my belief about Navy EOD.

Jeeper is partially correct...they both (all branches) go to the same EOD School...BUT they don't go to ALL of the same schools.

Navy EOD is one notch below SOF forces in capability and training. Navy EOD pipeline is extensive. Not only are you EOD qualified, but also Scuba and Airborne. You aren't going to get that training (as part of the pipeline) in EOD in any other branch.

I spent almost 7 years in a joint Army-USAF unit. My boss most of that time was a Master EOD Air Force Officer. His last command before coming to our unit was as the USAF student detachment Commander at the EOD school and an EOD school instructor. As a LtCol he really was one of the top dog EOD guys in the USAF.

One thing that always stuck with me was him saying if he had to do it all over again he would have gone Navy for EOD.

Take that for what it is worth.

Source(s): Me, 24 years in the US Army so far

all EOD techs go to the exact same EOD school at Eglin AFB

navy EOD is the only one that recieves additional training outside of the base EOD school as part of their pipeline. So if you want additional training (diver, airborne, and tactical training) then your best bet is navy.

btw just a slight correction to skunks answer- navy EOD is actually part of their special operations community.