Kaeleigh asked in PetsOther - Pets · 7 years ago

Can wild rabbits and domestic rabbits breed?

my rabbit got out less then a month ago and was gone for seven days. i was wondering if it is possible that she bred with a wild rabbit while she was gone. if so whould she still have babbies? please help!!breed oh ya she is one and a mini rex if that makes any difference.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It really depends, Most of the time the wild rabbits will run from the domestic rabbit because it smells like humans. Also most rabbits have to have the same genus. It is possible though for a wild rabbit to breed with a domesticated one but it is uncommon and the babies most likely would be sterile. Kind of like a mule.

American wild rabbit Genus: Sylvilagus (species name varies)

Domestic rabbit Genus and species: Oryctolagus cuniculus

EUROPEAN wild rabbit Genus and species: Oryctolagus cuniculus

In Europe it would be quite possible for your rabbit to breed with a wild rabbit. But in America It would be a very slim chance. That is unless someone had a domesticated buck out loose and your doe was around him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be prepared though, if your rabbit is pregnant then you want to make sure you provide her with what she needs and that you know when to wean the kits etc. She will need a nest box and a lot of hay (in the next box.) Also if she gives birth then free feed her.

Hope this is helpful! More later.

Source(s): My knowledge of rabbits, owning and raising them for years.
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Depends what continent you're on. Domestic rabbits are not inter-fertile with wild American cottontails. They can, however, reproduce with the types of wild rabbits found in the Eastern hemisphere, as they're descended from European wild rabbits. However, even if you're in the Americas, that doesn't mean she couldn't have become pregnant after roaming. Many places have feral colonies of domestic rabbits or strays, and rabbits have been known to mate through cage bars at times, so she could certainly have encountered a domestic male.

• 3 years ago

Types Of Pet Rabbits

• 7 years ago

NO, the rabbits that live in the U.S. cannot breed with domestic rabbits, unless they are rabbits that have been accidentally let out or purposely let free in the wild. If you live in Europe, a wild rabbit there could breed with domestic rabbits because that is where they originated from.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It depends on where you live in europe yes because all pet bunnies come from european wild rabbits but in the usa no because wild cottontails are a different species of rabbit and there breeding habits are too different rabbits cannot breed with hares either

• 7 years ago

Their rabbits. Off course they can still breed. It's like saying "can a Canadian breed with a Russian" (no offence I just chose the two countries on top of my head) and yeah.

If she ran off. It's possible she could be in danger, domestic bunnies can't live without your help whilst wild rabbits can. Plus it hard to find rabbits unless you live near the Forrest or field. So probably yes

Source(s): Own a housetrained bunny
    • Pavlos3 years agoReport

Thank you they're all rabbits a horse and a donkey are different animals in the same family so no comparison. And if a domesticated dog can breed with a wild wolf or coyote then of course a wild bunny can breed with a domesticated bunny.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can wild rabbits and domestic rabbits breed?

my rabbit got out less then a month ago and was gone for seven days. i was wondering if it is possible that she bred with a wild rabbit while she was gone. if so whould she still have babbies? please help!!breed oh ya she is one and a mini rex if that makes any difference.

Source(s): wild rabbits domestic rabbits breed: https://shortly.im/RXHQv
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awGQY

definitely yes, I used to keep rabbits a long time ago, and had fields behind the house, the rabbits got out and bred with the wild population ,you can still see the results today, lots of black and white, and all black ones and very few greys .

• Pavlos3 years agoReport

Thank you they're all rabbits a horse and a donkey are different animals in the same family so no comparison. And if a domesticated dog can breed with a wild wolf or coyote then of course a wild bunny can breed with a domesticated bunny.

• 7 years ago

There could be a possibility.

My rabbit lives outside, he's an unfixed male. He's probably banged every female rabbit on my block.

We joke when ever we see a rabbit outside saying its one of his many "bastard children."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.