Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens Β· 7 years ago

How to get un-addicted from cable TV?

I really need to economize and am thinking about downscaling my cable TV package. I'm tired of paying big bucks for endless reruns, horrid reality shows, and other garbage.

Any tips on how to get un-addicted? Obviously, I could get more reading done, by not watching the 'idiot box' so much. Has anyone else cut down on channels - and survived??

Favorite Answer

I had mine cancelled completely last year. It was a big saving. Most of it was rubbish anyway. I now watch movies and documentaries on the computer. Much better quality viewing. And I read more.

I have a TV hooked up to a roof antenna. Another set is hooked up to a "rabbit ear" type antenna. I get about 30 channels - not all of them are good, of course - but I get all the main Networks and their sub-channels now that digital has come in. Never had Cable and don't want it - my TV viewing is 100% free.

My suggestion to you would be to buy a "rabbit ear" antenna, and see how many channels you can get. If that works, you could put up a roof antenna. You could always return it if it doesn't work for you. Money you save on Cable would pay for the roof antenna.

When I discuss TV programs with other people, I find they are watching the same things I am. The difference is that I'm not paying those high monthly fees for my TV viewing.

Source(s): Works for me. Lona - I do get Downtown Abbey on our local PBS channel. Great show.

Yes. cancel cable and use a digital converter box and a TV antenna. The boxes are the same ones the government was giving away $40 coupons when they switched everyone from analog to digital signal, which costs more money.

You can try a satellite dish, it is cheaper than cable. I dont have a choice. My landlord has a contract with Comcast and I have to pay as long as I live here.

Local library has free Dvds and lots of them --its great way to save $$. If you really want to save even more $$ just use the computer at the library too (free) and drop the telephone service and get a Tracfone instead (costs about $100.00 for a year of service). Also join the Literacy volunteers at the library and tutor adults or kids in reading skills. Or join a seniors card group or something that will get you away from the Tv on a regular basis. I predict that you will survive this transition --good luck. Now I have to work on this stupid Y!A addiction...

• Snid

We are going to do it the exact same way you suggested. Down size our package. We noticed that often when there is a movie on you can find it on at least four channels at the same time. What is the most annoying is having over 200 channels and not being able to find something worth watching.

I wasted a good part of the last three days watching crap on television avoiding doing things I should have been doing.

• I can't get rid of my Cable, since my husband is a sport freak.

But you can cut down by just getting the basic channels, cause you will want that if you want to watch the news etc. by just getting the basic only you will cut down by a hundred dollars.

I use cable for my TV,Phone and Internet all in one package deal.

I prefer watching TV then watching it on the puter cause it is more comfortable for me.

It's been so many years since I've had cable, I really can't remember. It helps if you have a good antenna. The only shows that have played on cable that I really wanted to see, I've rented and that seems a good way to go. I don't miss cable and never have.

• Holly

Yes my sister got an antenna on top of her house and a box from the local hardware and brings in local channels and a couple of others that show classic TV show and movies. It's only the initial cost, then no monthly bill ever. She loves it.

I dream of doing that too BUT I'm alone and the t.v. is noise and company. I have only the basic and that's about as cheap as you can get.

Besides Downton Abbey 's new season is just starting and to tell the truth that is why I won't change carriers right now either.

Yes. I instead started a membership with Netflix and now I enjoy watching seasons of shows and movies online. I don't use DVD mail rental = extra money. I watch Netflix on my tv via the laptop, ps3, Xbox and my iPod. I also use websites where I can watch shows and movies for free.