Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 7 years ago

is puerto rico becoming part of the us?

Update:

cos it would be a shame if it did become part of the us, i want it to stay a seperate country- its spanish speaking not english speaking and has its own identity. it would be awful if them and indeed any other country were to lose sovereignity to the states

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are citizens of the united states.

Puerto Ricans have United States citizenship and vote for a Resident Commissioner of Puerto Rico, with voice but without vote, in the United States House of Representatives. With the exception of federal employees (such as employees of the United States Postal Service, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and servicemen in all branches of the military), residents of Puerto Rico generally do not pay federal income taxes (with the exception of Social Security and Medicare taxes) and Puerto Rico has no representation in the Electoral College that ultimately chooses the U.S. president and vice president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_(U.S._in...

They don't speak Spanish, they Speak Puerto Rican - a little different.

I spent 3 wonderful years there. Nice Island, friendly people, great food.

• 7 years ago

Is puerto rico becoming part of the us?

* In the last referendum we vote to change our current relationship status (territory) with the USA, and in a second question the statehood option ridsed with the most votes. The process to get statehood has many steps, but the step one has been made. We will see how this ends.

cos it would be a shame if it did become part of the us,

* That is your opinion, and I respect that.

* I also like you to respect the opinion of puertorricans who believe otherwise.

i want it to stay a seperate country

* True, that is what you want; not what I want.

spanish speaking not english speaking and has its own identity.

* USA do not has any official language, other countries have more than one language, I do not see that as an issue.

it would be awful if them and indeed any other country were to lose sovereignity to the states

* That is your opinion, and I respect that.

* Others consider it to be the best that could happen to the country.

• 3 years ago

Puerto Rico is a US territory, in spite of the incontrovertible fact that it is not a state. interior sight Puerto Ricans are US electorate. the U. S. invaded Puerto Rico, a Spanish colony on the time, in 1898 throughout the time of the Spanish-American conflict. Spain ceded Puerto Rico, alongside with the Philippines and Guam, to the U. S. as component to the Treaty of Paris whilst the conflict ended that comparable 3 hundred and sixty 5 days. the U. S. granted independence to the Philippines in 1946, yet PR and Guam proceed to be below US administration.

• 7 years ago

The people of Puerto Rico voted to become a state at the last election in November. They have been a territory of the US for many years so they have been a part of the US.

The Senate now must decide if it will become a state.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

It already is part of the US. PR is NOT an independent country. It is a territory of the US and has been since 1898, over 114 years. Citizens of PR are US citizens.

• 7 years ago

Part of USA, not at all

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.