Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 7 years ago

If you have a value of k(c/p) being greater than one, does it mean that reaction favored to the right(product)?

I'm taking AP Chemistry this year and we just started chemical equilibrium now.

I hate when the situation is this, where I have to memorize two set of "if-and-so" and I always flipped them and got screwed.

So, here is my question:

if I have a value of k(subscript concentration or pressure) greater than one, does it mean it favored to the right [the product side]?

Since k=[production]/[reactant], if I have a value of k greater than one, that means the concentration of product is larger than the concentration of reactant. However, does it mean the reaction favored the product side because it has a greater concentration? Or does it mean the reaction favored to the reactant side because more product concentration is presented to make the reverse [going to the left] reaction happens easily?

I just forgot about the rule. Please explain this to me! Thank you!

Favorite Answer

An equilibrium constant >1 suggests that the forward (to the right) reaction is preferred.