promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 years ago

Is this person committing benefit fraud?

I know of a woman who I think is committing benefit fraud.

She has a child with a man but doesn't have the fathers name on the birth certificate. Although the father is paying maintenance (not through the c.s.a) she has told the benefit office she does not know who the father is and does not receive maintenance from anyone. I'm assuming this is to commit some sort of fraud, to receive more benefits. how does this work? I though every child received child benefit. Could someone explain why she is doing this, what she is gaining out of it?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

She is gaining because if she went through the csa for child support it would affect what ever benefits she is on,but don't worry about it,just live your life and she will live hers.(child benefit is different,every mother receives that,although from monday it will depend on how much you earn)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Yeti
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Laws vary by location. Without a father or formal child support present, she probably ultimately receives more than she'd get if they were deducting whatever he's paying her. They'd also be taking money from the father for child support. So right now he probably gets away with paying less than he otherwise would. She doesn't get funds from him held against her. And if he's financially independent and they get married, she'd probably get nothing from the state whatsoever.

I will say that the benefits offices are usually aggressive about establishing paternity for a child if the child ends up on benefits -- they want the father to be paying for their child. You can go ahead and report her if you're sure you have your facts straight and you want to get involved. Or you can sit back and let her deal with the long-term consequences, especially since the agencies already know to be on the lookout for this kind of thing, and they're usually not going to sit by idly when there's some unnamed father out there who's dumped his child on the state. They reallllly don't like that.

• 7 years ago

Receiving child maintenance even through the CSA doesnt affect benefits so i dont know why she is lying about it. I dont think its fraud but there might be more to it

• 7 years ago

It sounds like she is possibly committing fraud, the unnamed father is paying maintenance which she is perhaps not declaring and by doing so is receiving more than she is legally entitled too.

I would report her, no one likes snitches but then no one likes cheats and frauds who are stealing from decent working tax paying families.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • pmt853
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If you are sure that you are correct then report her to the DWP. Her benefits might be reduced if they knwe she was getting maintenance or any other source of income. Her child benefit will not be affected.

• Tony
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

wheather he is on is not the father of the child what has that got to do with you? a father has to be there to sign a birth certificate nowadays the law has changed. get a life stop interfereing in people if you had a life then it would not bother you so much

• 7 years ago

well she will get housing benefit and a living alowance and normally what ever she was getting off the

Source(s): my head
  • 7 years ago

If you suspect fraud report her, but then again nobody likes snitches.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.