Anonymous

Ssd or ssi? i dont understand?

So i applyed for disability. But i dont understand how it works the had me apply for for ssd and ssi, if i get approved do i get both ot just one? Im 24 i became disabled about 1 1/2 ago yes i did have a full time job for close to 2 years plus a little other jobs.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If your SSDI would be under $730 a month then you could also be entitled to SSI IF you also have no other source of income (including a spouse) which would put you at $730 or more. Star is wrong - lots of people are entitled to both SSDI and SSI if their SSDI is less than $730 a month.

Your SSDI amount is based upon what you've paid into the social security system.

SSI, which stands for Supplemental Security Income, is the federal welfare benefit which is payable to people who are blind, disabled or over age 64 with limited income. Income over $729 would make you ineligible. Countable resources of $2000 or more would make you ineligible.

Some people are entitled to SSI just during the SSDI waiting period. SSDI doesn't pay a benefit the first five full months of disability and if a person files for both benefits early enough SSI will pay a benefit until the SSDI kicks in.

Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 years.
  • Star is incorrect. You can get both. If your SSDI beenfits is less than a SSI benefit ($710.00) - SSI will make up the difference.

• Star
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

SSI is Social Security income. SSD is social security disability. You cannot get both. SSD is based upon how much you worked, and how much you put into the system.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.