Are Liberalism and Atheism turning into religions?

Before you start pointing fingers at me and judging me, I'd like to identify myself as a Pantheist Atheist (which I am). I have been a 'pure' Atheist before reaching this pantheist state of mine. The reasons are long and detailed so I'm not really going to discuss them now. My question is long if... show more Before you start pointing fingers at me and judging me, I'd like to identify myself as a Pantheist Atheist (which I am). I have been a 'pure' Atheist before reaching this pantheist state of mine. The reasons are long and detailed so I'm not really going to discuss them now.
My question is long if you feel bored don't mention it please.
Before I was a hardcore Antitheist Atheist. I am of a Muslim background and I was born into a place where speaking your thoughts freely are frowned upon by society. Soon under the pressure I turned against everything and became a hardcore Atheist where I keep insulting religion especially Islam. I followed Atheist thinkers and writers such as Dawkins almost blindly like all do. I believed in gay marriage, legalization of drugs, etc... But this year I watched an American talk show where an Atheist organization considered 'Merry Christmas' to be insulting. I thought to my self, why are they really caring that much about non harming details. In fact, Christmas is a nice holiday and no one really needs to take people's joy away and shun the common greeting of those days. I started thinking, if we attack religious people as harshly wouldn't this work against us?! I mean we are preventing their natural evolution and the opportunity to question things on their own. No Atheist/Agnostic I know has ever became so without starting thinking about it himself. Also, calling people sheep is quite offensive, I mean children are less smart than adults. Adults cannot call them worthless sheep. This is similar to the USSR, people were for long forced to hate religion and what is the outcome? President Putin kisses the Orthodox Patriarch's hands now. I thought, gay rights are absolutely legitimate, but I don't see any good in legalizing marijuana. So I started thinking, we are organizing like a religion and we have our own view of heresy too. I looked into history and found out that in the Roman empire and Arabia people buried their baby girls if they had too many of them. When Christianity and Islam came (with all their odds with the modern world), they prevented this, and charity and good will was strengthened. I found that religion is a natural outcome of evolution. Religion was a bright idea at it's time that grew old and angry. What are your thoughts about this? Any counter arguments are respected.