Girlfriend's started to wear perfume?

My girlfriend never used to wear perfume. However, she's recently started.

I'm asthmatic, and the perfume - any perfume, in fact - is aggravating it. I tried to tell her to not wear it, but she took it personally and cut me off before I could explain why.

What should I do?

Best Answer

Is there any type of smelly stuff for girls at all that doesn't aggravate you? If so get it for her as a gift. It will make her feel special and it will help your asthma. If there isn't then I'd suggest getting through to her in another way by just gently pushing her away when she tries to have close contact like a hug and saying 'Sorry, i really want to but your perfume is setting off my asthma' don't say it self righteously or accusatory. Just regretfully

"I tried to tell her not to wear it". That's where you went wrong. You told her NOT TO DO something.

I suggest that you apologise for trying to control her and telling her what she can and can't do and then say what you should have said was that due to your asthma, her perfume is aggravating it and thus making it hard for you to breath and if she could stop wearing it (or not wear as much if that doesn't affect you as much0.

If she carries on wearing it, you have two choices. Carry on having trouble breathing for the rest of your life or trade her in for somebody who actually cares for you.

I know which one I would do.

KD

• Summer

Your girlfriend sounds really inconsiderate. Also, how does she not know that you have asthma? You don't have to approach the subject gently or anything like that, you don't owe her any courtesy in this because she is being really freaking inconsiderate and immature.

"Perfume really aggravates my asthma, can you please not wear it? Your natural scent is better anyway."

The last part is really just to butter her up. She doesn't really deserve it and you shouldn't have to suck up to her, but from what you described, it might be necessary as she seems kind of high-strung.

The only reason I say to put it in question form is just because it sounds nicer. It really isn't a question, though. It's not like you just don't like perfume, YOU HAVE ASTHMA! She either stops wearing the perfume so you can breathe, or you could always break up with her and find somebody who's capable of thinking about other people.

• Caz

Start the conversation from the other end - start it with "my asthma's acting up", not with "don't wear perfume". If she's trying to do something to make her more attractive to you, and you're asking her not to do it, she's going to take umbrage at that. If you explain to her first that something is having a negative impact on you, then explain that it's her perfume, she's more likely to be more receptive to that.

do no longer tell her you do in comparison to fragrance or which you do no longer choose for her to placed on it- in actuality, do no longer even use the be conscious fragrance till afterwards. purely say that on account which you're asthmatic there are some issues that could make it worse. Take a breath, provide her a risk to declare something and then say that fragrance is between the failings that could irritate your bronchial asthma. If she would not get the message then it extremely is a rather pointless courting, no longer awareness one yet another. :) wish it works out for you.

Explain that it isn't that u don't like it, but it is affecting your health.

I would suggest buying some bath and body works perfume/spray, and adding water so it isn't as strong. It may not aggravate your asthma.

(This is why I do because of my brother's asthma.)

If she wouldn't even listen to you, then you either stink at explaining or she is a horrible lister and you may eat to rethink your relationship.

Source(s): Personal experience

Try texting her about it saying that its nothing personal, its just your asthma. That way she can't hang up or walk away.

Try to think of alternative to perfume and give it to her as a present. Body spray would probably have the same effect to your asthma maybe but can you get nice smelling creams or something idk

Hope this helped :)

Just don't let her cut you off. If she's not willing to listen then maybe you aught to move on.

she wants to smell good.