Can vegetarians/vegans eat shellfish and oysters?

Thinking rationally, unless people have health issues and cannot eat meat or simply don't want to eat meat, we all become veg*ns because of two main reasons - animal suffering and pollution of nature caused by meat industry. The sentiment among scientists is that neither oysters nor shellfish feel pain, and... show more Thinking rationally, unless people have health issues and cannot eat meat or simply don't want to eat meat, we all become veg*ns because of two main reasons - animal suffering and pollution of nature caused by meat industry.

The sentiment among scientists is that neither oysters nor shellfish feel pain, and if they do, their pain isn't like what you'd feel if someone sliced you up alive, but due to their nervous systems being very simple don't feel even as much as when you cut your finger. Neither do they pollute nature that much - even some crops and fruits contribute more to the pollution.

So, to sum this all up I've decided that I can eat them and it won't be abuse of any of my two principles.

What are your thoughts about all of this? Do/would you eat them? Why?
Update: LOLwut - I don't really call myself a vegetarian, so don't worry about that. I try not to contribute to such stereotypes as vegetarians being people who eat chicken etc.