Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 7 years ago

British music Vs American music?

in my honest opinion, i think Britain has the better music as we have such a variety! Who do you think and why?

Favorite Answer

For some one to say there was no American Invasion of England does not know their music history. Let me see all of these rock bands have taken their music from the blues and rock & roll out of America. So yes there was a very big invasion, which has left it's mark on English musicians. One can not take anything away with the Brits as they perfected the rock end of the music.

I have just as many American bands in my well over 3000 vinyl collection. But I do have to say I listen to more British bands, such as The Stone, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.

And no one country has the better music, if that is the case then it would have to be America where all rock started, which was taught to the British.

I would say they are about the same:

Americans have, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago, Paul Butterfield's Blues Band, J. Geils Band, Jefferson Airplane, The Eagles, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Jimi Hendrix The Band of Gypsys, Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, Tracy Chapam, Jim Croce, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, GeorgeThorogood, Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Mamas & Papas, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Joan Baez, The Temptations, Otis Redding, Wilson Picket, Sly & The Family Stone, Simon And Garfunkel, Carol King, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, The Greatful Dead, Country Joe And The Fish, Bloodrock, Blue Cheer, Everly Brothers, The Doobie Brothers, The Chamber Brothers, The Alman Brothers Band, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Willie Nelson, Randy Newman, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison, Billy Haley And The Comets, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Styx, Journey, Electric Light Orchestra, Boston, Foreigner, Kansas, Supertramp and Electric Light Orchestra,Alice Cooper, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, New York Dolls, Billy Joel, Guns N Roses, Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, Three Dog Night, Patti Smith, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Booker T. & MGs, Dead Kennedys, The Cars, Blondie, The Velvet Underground, Metallica, Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, John Cougar, Steve Earle, Frank Sinatra, Nirvana.

And I could go on and on, as I could with the British artist, but when morning comes, it all falls back on the USA.

take care

dave

Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt

• beilul

I rejoice with British music and American music, why could each little thing be a contest nonetheless? in simple terms rejoice with the music. yet besides, all American music isn't crap. valuable, the stuff on the best of the charts is crap for the main section, yet I even have heard some crappy British artists as properly. there has been some super music from the two united states of america of america and the united kingdom, no could evaluate.

British music. My family members are all musicians, so we are all really into music. not into pop and all of that ganghan style bull sh*t, i mean real music. Americans have their fair share of musicians, but most of my favorite musicians are british. and well, musically, they are geniuses. Now pop wise... eh... not so much, good music is supposed to last for ages, pop is supposed to be forgotten within weeks. I feel like the American market is too... poppy... so, yeah Britain FTW

Nimble jack has a point about Led zeppelin, but why would he say that The Beatles were the best? no they weren't, they were good, sure, But only 1 maybe 2 of their songs were remarkable, 3 in my case because i love "revolution," Brits win this one, but don't forget about irish band like U2. as I see it, it's Boston + Bon Jovi VS. U2 + Van Morrison VS. Led Zeppelin + Paul Mccartney (The Beatles). But The Brits have the who and Queen so they win in a landslide victory.

Both are just as good, I consider both UK and US as the countries with the best pop music.

I don't like Scandinavian pop musics except Swedish pop music which is the best in Scandinavia.

Britain rules in the sixties and seventies with bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and not to forget Queen. However, the eighties were a bit obscure for the Britons. Michael Jackson was taking over with Human Nature and Billie Jean. Then came along Bon Jovi and Guns N' Roses. But Joshua Tree was amazing. The Grunge scene came in 1989 and bands such as Soundgarden and Nirvana showed up and did a good job. The 90's were the decade when November Rain and the These Days album were recorded. Jacko was also experimental on his five original-track and remix LP - Blood On The Dance Floor and HIStory album. But that was the decade when Achtung Baby was recorded and One was released. Even though U2 is Irish I'll consider them British. This is just a narrow view. Madonna and Prince were making history. Whitney Houston covered Dolly Parton. Backstreet Boys and N*Sync graced the stage. 2Pac, NAS and B.I.G were at the helm. Blood Sugar Sex Magic came to life. This was now all in America. What did Britain have - Take That. Post-2000 was just rubbish thanks to America. Btw, Eric Clapton and Elton John were on fire in the 90's. Let's look back before the 60's we had Big Band, Jazz, Blues and Country coming to life - most of which was better in America and went on to influence The British Invasion which went on to influence the rest of pop music. Nowadays, you have Adele singing about the same ex-boyfriend pretty well to the extent it breaks your heart that she doesn't sing about anything else. Her peer, Taylor Swift is doing the same but in an irritatingly bland and cliché way with cheese on top of that. Gangham Style gets good reviews and every Country artist is becoming more and more predictable. The tale is the same with R&B. But who never liked The Spice Girls. And who ever found joy in listening to Radiohead except elitism. Overall, with artists like James Brown, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley and Arethra Franklin British music would be stuck before The Beatles were. Bob Dylan was American and without him God knows what John Lennon would have written. And without the 1920's Jazz God knows what Paul McCartney would have released. And without America, only God knows if Led Zeppelin would have been Led Zeppelin or another folk band. And without Jimi Hendrix, God only knows what would be considered acid rock.

In conclusion, Americans are better inventors but poorer at innovation compared to their British counterparts. Just look at what Queen, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and The Beatles did with rock.

• Numb

American music.

But British music also not bad.

I also prefer German band, Scorpion.

60s and 70s: British music was better

80s and 90s: American music was better

Just my opinion...

• 700_up

There are some good British rock bands but overall I prefer American rock bands. That's where it came from afterall.

Sorry, but the "invasion" was British. I did not notice an American one in Britain. Britain all the way and Canada has had some great musicians in The Guess Who, April Wine, BTO, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Bryan Adams, Sarah McLachlan, Rush, Trooper, REO Speedwagon, and Nickelback.

• DJ5 years agoReport

how can you say there wasn't an American invasion in Britain when rock music started in the States?