Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Do you like these new 2012 regulations?

It seems that no aspect of American life can escape government regulation. In the past year, regulators drafted rules that addressed everything from caloric intake to dishwasher efficiency.

Most of these rules increase the cost of living, others hinder job creation, and many erode freedom. Not all regulations are unwarranted, of course, but increasingly, the rules imposed by the government have less to do with health and safety and more to do with whether government or individuals get to make basic pocketbook and lifestyle decisions that affect them. And it is not just the regulators who are to blame. Congress writes laws that give unelected bureaucrats the broad powers they wield.

Today we bring you 10 of the worst regulations from 2012:

1. HHS’s Contraception Mandate

The Department of Health and Human Services on February 15 finalized its mandate that all health insurance plans include coverage for abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization procedures, and contraceptives. To date, 42 cases with more than 110 plaintiffs are challenging this restriction on religious liberty.

2. EPA Emissions Standards

The EPA in February finalized strict new emissions standards for coal- and oil-fired electric utilities. The benefits are highly questionable, with the vast majority being unrelated to the emissions targeted by the regulation. The costs, however, are certain: an estimated $9.6 billion annually.

3. Fuel Efficiency Standards

In August, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in tandem with the Environmental Protection Agency, finalized fuel efficiency standards for cars and light trucks for model years 2017–2025. The rules require a whopping average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. Sticker prices will jump by hundreds of dollars.

4. New York’s 16-Ounce Soda Limit

Not all regulations come from Washington. On September 13, at the behest of Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the New York City Board of Health banned the sale of soda and other sweetened drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces.

5. Dishwasher Efficiency Standards

Regulators admit that these Department of Energy rules will do little to improve the environment. Rather, proponents claim they will save consumers money. But they will also increase the price of dishwashers, and only about one in six consumers will keep his or her dishwasher long enough to recoup the cost.

6. School Lunch Standards

The U.S. Department of Agriculture in January published stringent nutrition standards for school lunch and breakfast programs. More than 98,000 elementary and secondary schools are affected—at a cost exceeding $3.4 billion over the next four years.

7. Quickie Union Election Rule

In April, the National Labor Relations Board issued new rules that shorten the time allowed for union-organizing elections to between 10 and 21 days. This leaves little time for employees to make a fully informed choice on unionizing, threatening to leave workers and management alike under unwanted union regimes.

8. Essential Benefits Rule

Under Obamacare, insurers in the individual and small group markets will be forced to cover services that the government deems to be essential. Published on November 26, the HHS list of very broad benefits has created enormous uncertainty about the extent of essential treatment.

9. Electronic Data Recorder Mandate

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on December 13 issued a notice of proposed rulemaking to mandate installation of electronic data recorders, popularly known as “black boxes,” in most light vehicles starting in 2014. The government mandate understandably spooks privacy advocates.

10. “Simplified” Mortgage Disclosure and Servicing Rules

In July, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau released its proposal for a more “consumer friendly” mortgage process, with a stated goal of simplifying home loans. The rules run an astonishing 1,099 pages. Then, one month later, the bureau proposed more than 560 pages of rules for mortgage servicing.

No End in Sight

As busy as regulators were in 2012, do not look for them to slow down in the new year.

"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under

the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist

program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without

knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas.

Rule #9 is the one that bothers me most.

• wtinc
    Favorite Answer

The government was to never be this controlling when established why people continue to support such and over reaching government is beyond me. I now flush my toilet twice to clean it due to the regulation set to reduce the amount of water to be used so instead of using less i use more. My truck come with EPA required equipment and as a result gets 1 MPG less. Can anyone tell me how that will save the environment?

• WallyZ

None of this has anything to do with socialism. You apparently do not know what it means so I suggest you look it up.

1. HHS’s Contraception Mandate

So you are saying that the insured person that wants contraception coverage cannot get it because their employer doesn't want them to have it? Such coverage has been available to even church employees for decades. Letting the companies (even the church is a company) have the option of keeping it out is actually depriving the employee of their religious liberties. Until you can show me where companies like Monsanto can go to heaven, you are wrong.

2. EPA Emissions Standard

Those same standards have been in place in California and other states where emissions are a problem. And no, it does not cost that much.

3. Fuel Efficiency Standards

The claim of higher prices were made many times and it has never happened. As to the miles per gallon requirement, my Prius gets more than that right now.

4. New York’s 16-Ounce Soda Limit

Your right, it didn't come from the Fed, and mentioning it here is wrong. There should be an exception for diet and other low calorie drinks.

5. Dishwasher Efficiency Standards

All they have to do is shorten the wash cycle and reduce / eliminate the heating element to dry the dishes. That should not raise the cost at all.

6. School Lunch Standards

You gave the total cost instead of the increase of which there is little. This was needed because, in the past, the agriculture was forcing certain foods to be served to bolster the income of farmers. That plus cost saving measures of using "pink slime" as a protein source.

7. Quickie Union Election Rule

Since it is the employees themselves who choose to have an election, they can delay it themselves. Presenting this item is lame.

8. Essential Benefits Rule

If this rule is not in effect, insurance companies can undercut each other by not covering certain expenses. Forcing a standard for minimum benefits is needed, otherwise you would have insurance that covers nothing.

9. Electronic Data Recorder Mandate

Guess what? Black boxes are already installed in all new cars for some 15-20 years. They just don't say it. One of the reasons they were put in was to be able to counter claims of seat belt, air bag, brake failures, stuck accelerator pedals, etc. In an accident, they can tell speed, if the brakes were applied, if there was a skid, if and when the airbags were deployed, etc. They do not record conversions of the car occupants, just the functions of the car itself.

If you were worried about this, you should be more scared about your cell phone, with the GPS feature they can tell where you are, how fast you are moving including direction and even listen to your conversation even if you are not using your phone.

Anyone who has bought a home would welcome this. The stack of papers can be several inches high that you have to read and sign. z

• MJ

Governments seemingly exist to legislate the world into perfection. I don't think this is the way the American government was supposed to work, but it's no surprise that it does.

Most of our regulations are pretty damn weak, especially our EPA regulations.

I personally don't like the healthcare bill that much because I really wanted single payer healthcare.

EDIT: Do you really believe this is socialism? I'm a democratic socialist and I do not approve of Obama's policies.

Idk I have no huge problem with any of them. I don't care honestly. I'll probably just move to the middle of nowhere so I can do whatever the hell I want and no rules will really apply to me.

I think it's safe to say the founding fathers would be highly upset with us.

Source(s): Both parties are to blame for the economy, that's reality

ALMOST all of them are good measures.

NO

Source(s): DEFEND AMERICA, IMPEACH OBAMA