lengthy question about law school transfers?

I have a lengthy question regarding law school transfers that I was hoping someone could possibly assist me with:

Having graduated high school in 2005, I spent seven years in undergrad. My academic performance was excellent the first two years, with grades consisting almost entirely of "A's". Unfortunately, when I was in my early 20s, after my first couple of years of undergraduate study, I suffered a stroke, which resulted in some visual impairment and cognitive loss, so I received a host of negative grades for a few semesters, until I was able to cope and get my life back on track, then the last two years my grades improved with A's and B's. Although, my academic record was excellent to begin with, poor in the middle, and above average toward the end, my gpa is what it is....a 2.65, and there is very little I could do to offset that gpa, other than work diligently in preparing for the LSAT, which I spent a year and a half doing so, and I was pleased with receiving a 175 (out of a possible 180) on the LSAT.

With my fairly good LSAT score and abysmal 2.65 gpa, I figured I would be lucky to land a seat in a Tier 2 law school (ranked #51-100), but to much surprise, I recently found out that a Top 30 school accepted me. Certainly not what I expected given that gpa (even though I included an addendum that addressed the drastic decline in grades in conjunction with a doctors note that verified everything that I stated was accurate).

Like I said, by large, law school is all about the "numbers" and I am lucky to have received such an acceptance, and I am fully aware, that a prospective student should not enroll in a school that they wouldnt be happy graduating from, if their plans to transfer after the first year just simply dont work out, since attaining top grades to transfer is a very rigorous and competitve process. And if my plans do not work out, however, I know this is a school that I would still be pleased to attend the remainder of my law school career and graduate from.

With that said, I have aspirations of studying corporate law at a Top 14 school in NY, since I would love to practice law in NY, and the other schools in the Top 14 arent in states in which I would want to live or practice law. I am interested if anyone could tell me, given this scenario if a transfer to a New York Top 14 law school is at all possible?

Alright, 1) So I was accepted to a Top 30 school (non-NY, therefore I wouldnt have the competition of attempting to transfer to a New York T-14 as students at say Fordham or Brooklyn would), and 2) If by chance (luck of course and studying as hard as I can), I end up in say the top 1-5 percent of my law school class at the Top 30 school, Would expecting to transfer to say Columbia Law School be at all possible or unreasonable?

I have read transfer forums and I have seen that even some students at schools ranked 60-70 in the top 5 percent, have succesfully transferred to Columbia Law School, and therefore, the ranking of my school and my (desired-goal class ranking) are above those AND if by chance I apply from the Top 30 law school in the desired 1-5 % of my class (as first year law performance is the major factor), then with LSAT (175) and UGPA (2.65) as an afterthought, do you think Columbia would reject me with that low UGPA, even if my IL performance is stellar and the ranking of my school is 30?

Lastly, has anyone ever known or heard of any successful Columbia (or NYU) transfers from a Top 30 and above school in the top 5 percent, that got accepted with a sub 3.0 UGPA?

Thank you for your time and advice and I apologize greatly about the length of this question.

Favorite Answer

If + then + if + if + then + if + then = you can't control and plan everything in advance. Good luck, though.

• Yeti

I'd stop obsessing over all the numbers and your odds and simply apply.

If it hasn't happened before, there's always a first time. If it has happened before, they could say it's time for a change.