which classic 20th century novel features a high school or college character who does his best thinking when..?

he's RUNNING / DOING SPORT. I think the author says he can figure out maths problems, homework, etc.

I'm pretty sure the character is a student at an American high-school or college and participates on the track and field team. I think the protagonist considers him to be a bit of a jock.

I initially thought this may have come from Catcher in the Rye but I cant seem to locate it there. I remember the book being on our highschool reading list (back in the late 90s) so the novel is probably well known.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

thank you Roger

could you tell me where in the book i can find the description about the character's mental state while running (solving homework problems, etc)

many thanks

• Roger
    Favorite Answer

No—it's Alan Sillitoe's novella "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner," one of the most wonderful adolescent and adult monologues ever written. Originally published by W. H. Allen in London in 1959, Alfred A. Knopf in New York in 1960.

yeah, in certainty how approximately make him the final pal of the perfect character. in case you write a good tale and then have a expert-gay subplot to it the place the perfect character in some unspecified time interior the destiny has to help conflict with the homophobia interior the college. i admire the belief. through the way, it does not be solid sufficient just to have a gay character considering there is already a number of those in some books. if your an author making plans on writing a e book like this i could be prepared to be a pattern teen to study this, so save me published. additionally i could have some pals that would probable have an interest additionally.