? asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

Is the confederate flag considered racist?

Hello, well we have a project for Texas history class coming up and i'm going to sew a flag. I can sew any of the six flags over Texas. I'm a creative girl so I thought "Hey I bet everyone's doing the Texas flag, so I'm going to do the Confederate flag!" But then i realized what it was used for. But I'm half white and half black so I don't want to seem racist to anyone. My question is: Is the Confederate flag considered racist? P.S I asked some people and they said that the U.S flag is more racist, because they flew it over ships bringing slaves to America...HELP!!

Favorite Answer

It can be perceived as racist. It's also still in use by the state of Georgia.

BUT Texas did not fly the Confederate flag you know of. It was this one:

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/cons/fe...

• Yun

Tough call.

The thing about it is that people have different opinions on it. I personally have nothing wrong with it, and I don't think that it's racist at all. However, there are many people that do think it is.

The Confederate Battle Flag (what everyone calls the "Confederate Flag" is not their real national flag) used to fly under the US and state flags on top of the capitol of my state (South Carolina). The NAACP boycotted SC for years in an effort to try and get the flag taken down because of their perception of it as racist. Eventually the flag was taken off the top of the State House, but was put at a monument honoring the Confederate soldiers on the grounds of the State House.

That flag is divisive, since it means different things to different people. To me, its a symbol of my history and heritage. To others its a symbol of hate and oppression.

If you want to do it, go ahead. For one thing, you're mixed-race, so it's going to be hard for someone to call you racist.

Just be prepared for people to be a little angry about it.

Well, the confederate flag is the symbol of defeated separatists who believed they should have their own nation to enslave people.

Is that racist? I don't think it's a stretch to interpret it that way, but I prefer to understand why someone is flying such a flag.

In my experience, the confederate flag is largely flown by redneck d-bags who think it's cool. If they're under 20 or so, there's a chance they'll grow out of it. If it's being flown by someone in their 30's or older, you can pretty much assume you've got an undereducated, racist hick on your hands.

Sometimes, of course, it comes up in the teaching of history or a discussion like this one. There, it's probably OK. It is, after all, a reality and it should be discussed. So in the context of a history class, I'd think it's reasonable.

So it's not as bad as flying a red/white/black swastika, but it's on the same ladder.

• wjstix

I think making the correct flag (as BB Gun's link) could start an interesting conversation about the Confederacy, like how it was created to try to preserve slavery, yet only a tiny fraction of Southerners owned slaves; or how some Texas leaders like Sam Houston were dead set against Texas seceding from the union.

Confederate flags are NOT racist, but they are anti-American. The Confederate States of America, which included Texas, wanted to separate from the United States. So for most Americans, the Confederate flag is looked down upon and considered taboo. But no, it's not racist, and if it's a school project, go for it. Don't worry about it.

• tindle

because the civil warfare become nonetheless also fought because of slavery. The south had to shop slavery, and in view that the accomplice flag represented the south.... i could nonetheless evaluate someone racist in the experience that they needed their state to shop slavery, even notwithstanding the guy would not inevitably have slaves.

• Anon

Yes. Because slavery was the main reason for the civil war. The North wanted to free the slaves but a lot of the economy in the South was orientated around slavery. That's it x

• Kevin7

In my opinion yes,it is because the Confederacy supported the slavery and oppression of African-Americans

It's the treasonist symbol of a state founded on slavery.