promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Whats wrong with my 1992 International 4900 ?

This past weekend I got a 92 crew cab international 4900 with the turbo dt466. 150k miles. 8ft dump bed n 10ft snow plow. Truck ran fine but headlights wouldnt work. all fuses good etc. hard wired plow lights to fuse and they worked but after 20 min the battery was drained. Sounds like I need a new alt right? Also okay when i left for my 500 mile drive back thru the mountains the truck ran great. Well one other problem dash cluster doesnt work only thing that works on it is the air brake guages. But okay truck was running great the all the sudden it starts smoking out the hood. I pulled over and there was a red oil fluid all over the hood n motor. (passanger side) searched for a broken hose couldnt find anything... What is the fluid and if coolant ..does it overflow when hot and pour out next to rad..if so that could be why its smoking n sprayed all over. So parked truck for a while then drove again.. heard like a tapping noice coming from trans hatch on the floor it got louder the longer i drove. I didnt wana risk it so took to a shop. They said it was a $500 fix n was a trans back up switch ..lil $10 part supposably cuased all that fluid to leak.. i dont think so..said it fixed it.. i drov eoff truck still mad tapping noice.. drove about hr got to a long steep hill got to top n started smoking again.. pulled into rest area.. same red fluid all over passanger side again.. then i noticed black oil dripping from mid cab off by trans. Called a wrecker got it towed last 3 hrs to my house. Truck starts n runs good.. but still tapps n way noiser then when i first got. sounds kinda like an exhaust leak noise in comparison.. also seems to have lost alittle power and get up and go. More hesitant off the start. I dont wana drive it but to a local shop. Any idea whats wrong with it.. idk if its normal but when i started it last it had white smoke for a few seconds right when i started but cleared up after. Any idea whats going on with my truck?

Update:

Has automatic trans. Also the rad over flow is like a 6 inch line that just dumps to engine compartment... I will check fluids and see if any are low. for all the fluid its lost id figure if it was power steering it would be noticeable in steering. Also .. at idle u can hear the noise..but when tap gas or going it increases with rpms.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Eddie
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

-the tapping you are hearing could be a hole in one of the turbo hoses. Not sure if your truck has a charge air cooler or not, but the hoses that lead to the intake manifold on these engines is just rubber, and very prone to blowing a hole in them. This would also lead to your low power.

- the headlight switches on these trucks absolutely suck. They get too hot when used, and melt the switch itself and the wiring harness that plugs into it. They are fairly cheap parts to replace (under $40,) but can be a pain to do because of the location and the dog house cover.

Other than that, JJ nailed all your other issues.

Sounds like your truck just needs a bit of TLC, and a bit of $$$.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • J J
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You have a bad fan drive and it is overheating on those long hills and it is throwing out the extended life anti freeze which is red. The way to tell is to turn the fan blades by hand, it should be very hard to turn and not free wheel. Very common for your truck. I'm not sure the shop where they told you it was trans back up switch was a good shop to be at. If it is a automatic and you lost trans fluid to the amount you say the truck would have burnt up the trans if it is stick it wouldn't be red fluid. And the dash not working that is a normal for that truck. You will need a new dash cluster or if you can find a rebuilder they can fix it for half the price. The loud tapping noise may be a hole in the exhaust flex pipe and you should be able to pin that down by getting under it while it is running. the black oil coming from the from the trans is the real bad news because it would be coming from the rear main seal another problem that plague the DT466. I can tell you are not familiar with diesel engines, you will get white smoke from a cold engine because it has a hard time burning all the fuel in the cylinder until it gets a little heat in there. The hesitation will depend on weather it has a injector pump or it is common rail, have to ask again later.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Your gauge problem may be a bad fuse. The air prssure gauge works without electricity.

Is this a manual or automatic transmission? If it's an automatic then you may have a leak in a cooler line that goes to the radiator from the transmission. May also be power steering fluid. You need to check all of the fluid levels to see which one is low to determine what's leaking.

Does the tapping sound happen when moving are do you still have it sitting still?

There will be a rubber tube that comes out right under the radiator cap. Follow that tube to find out where the overflow from the radiator goes to.

MORE: You probably already kow this but if there is no coolant reservoir then you don't fill the radiator all of the way up because you need to allow for expansion.

• 4 years ago

1992 International Dump Truck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It sounds just like the throw out bearing is out and not letting the clutches are available contact with every other, or the slave cylinder isn't moving the throw out bearing. Check the cv joints there are two of them, and probably one has been broken for some time and you didnt understand it, and now the other could have eventually damaged. The cv joints join the drivetrain to really flip the wheels. I doubt its a linkage drawback due to the fact most of the time normal trannys don't have any linkage, they're linked immediately under the shifter. If its interior it could be a quantity of things, like the clutches which i doubt seeing that you might have observed them going out. See if that you can put the auto in gear while its no longer strolling and notice if that you could push the car, it will have to now not transfer if yur lucky. And if does move then its frequently the cv joints are broken and is letting the car move freely even though its in apparatus. The cv joints are like little power shafts on every of the front wheels assemblies to make it transfer, and the cv terminology approach ''regular velocity''

• Cathy
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

is it losing coolant must be .if so check for rad leak . got to watch head gasket not gone have it check first thing in good garage some of them are con men . as you well know

• Harry
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

you bought a deusy!

Source(s): if you want to get specific, find your power relay for the dash.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.