Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 years ago

Taekwondo vs Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Hi. In 9 months I will hold a Taekwondo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt.

I enjoy both very much, but cannot afford to continue both due to financial issues. I'm selecting one to do full time after I get my black belt(s) and am unsure which one to continue with.

I enjoy both, but wish to continue one for the rest of my life and am unsure which one to continue to get to a higher degree in.

Any ideas?

• K_JKD
    Favorite Answer

do what's more fun & your more into because if you don;t like it & aren't that into it you'll never get good.

when people do what they like they tend to thrive more than doing something they hate.

Source(s): martial arts training since 1997

While you will likely hear many who clamor that you do "This Art" over "That Art" for "This Reason" or "That Reason", it is more important that you focus one what YOU enjoy most of all.

TKD is fine. BJJ is fine. I don't care much for either of them, however that should and hopefully means absolutely nothing to you.

If you will be holding a black belt in each style, I'm not sure why you will be making the choice if you enjoy both of them. Talk with both instructors and see if you can fill any assistant instructor roles in order to possibly get a break in tuition and hopefully continue both, if that is what you choose to do.

If such an accommodation cannot be made, do not let biased third parties whom you do not know try to persuade you to make a decision that you, yourself, would not make of your own accord.

If the issue is not about tuition paid to either school, but rather the cost of travel, you should endeavor to make such travel possible. Either get a part time job or a full-time job (if you are in school) in order to finance your training.

Good luck!

Source(s): AKK Shin Dojo Program Director Nidan, Iaido and Karatedo Shodan, Jujutsu

If you have a black belt in Bjj, you must be of a very high standard! They don't hand out belts in bjj! You have to earn them! You say you also have a black belt in tkd! Depending on the school! You must have a good set of striking skills. As a martial artist, you must be quite good and well rounded! I would continue with both! Also have you considered teaching?

Source(s): 26 years martial arts

In the philosophy of Jeet Kune Do, it does not matter how big and strong the fighter is, what matters is how skilled you are in the fighting style you train in. And it does not matter what fighting style you do, but what matters is how well you've absorbed your learning and training. For example: you could be a black belt in Karate for all I care, but a boxer can beat you if you are full of yourself and are not wise enough to let nature take its course in the fight.

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."-Bruce Lee

"Quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough"-Bruce Lee

A black belt in bjj is pretty intense if you're that far along truthfullly I say keep doing TKD and just roll with some guys you train with at alocal gym to keep your skill in bjj up for practice.

• Karen

You should focus on one thing first so finish the tae kwon do black belt then get a belt in Brazilian jiujitsu or start doing mma.

• I like the Jiu-Jitsu flying triangle choke...!

WOW! TONS of misinformation here. What do you want? True Taekwondo is a martial art complete with grappling, close range fighting, low kicks, strikes, etc. And BJJ is a sport with throws and ground fighting. Decide what you want more.

• Jim R

As if we can tell you how to live your life!

You know how you feel about all that. We don't.

Take a deep breath and go where your nose leads you.

Old school taekwondo with its more street fight savvy moves might win, but today BJJ would definitely win any against any tkd artist.

Source(s): Opinoion.