Renewing Driver's License While In Army Training?

Last time i posted this concern up but accidentally I deleted before I looked at answers posted so Im reposting it..

Long story short here's the situation:

I'll be leaving for US Army Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in January 2013. I will also be doing AIT for 88M-Motor Transport Operator (Truck Driver) at Fort Leonard Wood as well. I need to have a valid Driver's License prior to completing AIT, it cant expire before I graduate AIT. The problem is I turn 21 a month after I ship (My birthday is in February) and will not graduate from BCT until around April 2013 and AIT may start in that same month. My local DMV won't allow me to renew it until my 21st Birthday and I need a VALID LICENSE THAT DOESN'T EXPIRES PRIOR to graduating AIT, I can't have an expired license before graduating or during AIT..

How will I go about renewing my Drivers License?

Any ideas or does anyone have experience with this type of situation? Any suggestions?

By the way, Im from Illinois.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I understand your problem. Had the same issue with license plates and driver's licenses for over 20 years with California.

Here's some info about Illinois straight from the DMV:

Stationed outside of Illinois and facing the renewal of your license? If you have an Illinois driver's license and are in the military, you have more options than the average driver.

Military enlistees, their spouses, and any dependent children living with them can have the expiration of their driver's licenses deferred for up to 45 days following discharge or following reassignment back to a military base in Illinois.

To accomplish this, you need a Military Deferral Certificate card. This card must be carried with the license. Here's how to get one:

Photocopy your current driver's license, your military ID card, and proof of Illinois residence.

Write a letter explaining your request.

Send the above to:

Special License Unit

Secretary of State

2701 S. Dirksen Parkway

Springfield, IL 62723

If you have questions relating to military deferrals and documentation, contact the Secretary of State's information line at (217) 782-2720, pressing option 6 and then option 5. More information about renewing from out of state is also available online.

Acceptable Proofs of Residency

It can be tricky for those stationed outside of Illinois to prove that they are Illinois residents. Any paperwork issued by the Secretary of State will usually fulfill this requirement. Such documents include your vehicle title, your vehicle registration card, and your Illinois voter card.

If you don't have any of these items, then lease agreements showing an Illinois address, rent receipts, utility bills, or bank statements will usually suffice. Even official, stamped letters from a business or government office to your name at that address will do.

More information on acceptable proofs of residency and identity can be found on the State of Illinois website.

I would call them asap! Get the right info from the source. I had to call and talk to people's bosses. Ask for a manager or supervisor if you get the run-around.

More detailed how to. Get after it!

http://illinoisdriverslicense.org/renew.html

• NWIP

Illinois correct?? http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/driv...

Out-of-State Driver's License Renewal

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty outside Illinois, as well as their spouses and children, may drive with an expired license for up to 120 days after their return to the state. A Military Deferral Certificate(s) must be carried with your expired Illinois driver's license. Certificates are available at no charge and may be mailed to your out-of-state address. To request a Military Deferral Certificate, mail a copy of your current Illinois driver's license, a copy of the front and back of your Military ID Card and your out-of-state address to:

Secretary of State

License and Medical Review Unit

2701 S. Dirksen Pkwy.

Springfield, IL 62723.

For more information, please call 217-782-2720.

ETA: You didn't delete the question it is still there - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AsXHC...

Thank you for your service! Many states will honor your license, even if it's expired, as long as you're on orders. I recommend that you visit your nearest DMV and inquire to make sure this is the case. Good luck!!

Source(s): Retired USAF enlisted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQA-EWOXqBc
  • Jeff

I bet your state does early renewal. mine does.

Renew before you ship.

If the land of lincoln wont allow early renew...you could surrender your current licence and apply for a new one...

Or go across the river and apply for a Missouri licences and surrender the Illinois...

Those goofy guys in Springfield....

Apply for a license where you are when you turn 21

in most states, you can renew your drivers license online

then in a week, you get your new drivers license