Help with a color scheme for a painting?

I'm a junior in high school and an artist (or aspiring artist). I'm working on a painting for class based on "Through the Looking Glass," and the only requirement is that it's built up (with modeling paste, foam board, etc etc). I'm painting a fireplace with a shelf and "looking glass" above it (through which you can see a chess board landscape). The whole painting is distorted and there are no straight lines except for the chess board, and the walls will have swirls to keep the eye moving. I'd also like to make the fire an unnatural color.

Most of the time I work in black and white or monochromatic colors, but I'd like this painting to be colorful.

Since this painting is unrealistic and "trippy," I'd like to use "trippy" colors, but I can't figure out what those colors would be. Nor can I figure out how to use a wide range of colors on all parts of the painting, but still show enough contrast to separate the colors of say, the shelf, from the wall.

• BeBe
    Favorite Answer

It's impossible to say but an idea I had while reading your question was to make part of the painting monochromatic and part in color(s). Or the entire room in shades of blue and the landscape chessboard in shades of orange.... You would still have use of all of possible tints and tones.

Do some small color studies. Experiment with using small areas of color in a mostly monochrome. You can get carried away when you attempt to use too many colors in the same painting. I would limit the number of colors or families of colors to no more than 3 or 4. I think that would keep it more interesting.

Good luck!

Source(s): artist

I would advise you do some mock-ups.

Either build smaller versions out of cardboard and then paint these - trying out different kinds of colours, like for instance chromatic greys with a bit of blue or red etc. Maybe look at using silver spray paint.

Or you could try using collage to create a flat mock up to test colours on, or even better would be a series of sketches using a restricted palette for each drawing. Try using water colours or watered down acrylic for these.

There is no point asking someone to choose the colour for you, as you need to be able to do this yourself as an artist - you need to make the final choices.

Also it comes down to what you are painting the sculpture with as there will be colour restraints in terms of what you can buy and mix.

Check out artist Jeff Koons as a source of research, the way he chooses colours is very particular and he references popular culture in his practice.

Walls- dark grey

Swirls- dark red (or bright red)

Fireplace- fire-purple and green and the fireplace like dark marble

Chess board- dark blue and red pink

-i hope that this helps and looks good

Source(s): Opinion