What is the survival rate for a young adult with leukemia?

If someone gets it at 18 and begin treatment what are the chances of them beating it. Also if it goes into remission but comes back is it worse, thanks

Favorite Answer

There are different types of leukemia. I was diagnosed with CML leukemia when I was 16 and took a pill called Gleevec. The pill put the cancer into remission but will not cure it. The only cure to this cancer is a bone marrow transplant. So then you would have to look at the survival and success rate of a bone marrow transplant which depends. I stayed on the pill untell I was 18 graduated and ready for the transplant. My bone marrow match was a sibling which increased my chances also not being elder increased my chances. The transplant is hell and dangerous but odds were good I think they were around 80%. Which is as good as it gets. Its been 6 months since and im doing really good a lot better than most. The transplant can cause a lot of problems and your not out of the clear for a year. I know of a lot of people who cant even find a match or did not survive after the transplant. After the transplant you are left with No immune system and a minor cold can kill you. And of course there is a chance the cancer can come back you have to go back on the pill and do it over again.

Source(s): cancer survivor :)

Survival rates are good with this!!! There is a medicine that has been known for over 5000 years that cures cancer, but it cannot be patented because it is a plant and the pharmaceutical companies pay governments to keep it banned and arrest anybody who tries to use it!!! Just Google Biochemist who cured his own stage 4 prostate cancer with no side effects!!! This is no joke it is true and it cures all cancers and a whole host of other diseases that people are suffering needlessly with!!!! Or Google the Rick Simpson story "RUN FROM THE CURE" This is not a joke it works!!!

Survival rates are not based on age. They are based on the kind of cancer it is and how advanced it is – neither of which do you mention. “Leukemia” is not specific enough. When cancer recurs it is worse and how soon after remission also matters.

Source(s): I am a cancer registrar.