Democrats, torture doesn't work? WTF?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/senate-panel-to-exami...

Really? So everybody on Earth is some heroic John McClane type? They'll just let you torture them forever and never tell you what they know?

Look, I get that you don't approve of torture but to say it doesn't work is insane. If someone captures say... me and starts pulling my toenails out one by one, I'm going to tell them my entire life story including every military, business and government secret I might happen to know.

• Mike
    Best Answer

The problem with torture isn't that it doesn't get someone to talk. The problem is that it gets them to tell you what you want to hear and eventually suffer a psychotic break from all the stress so that they believe everything they say is true. All that matters is saying the things that make the torture stop, which will always be the things that the torturer wants to hear. The torturer will effectively train the prisoner to lie to them and give bad intel.

Torture is not well suited to intelligence gathering. It's for making examples of people. Historic examples include the infamous exploits of Vlad the Impaler. If you want people to soil themselves and panic at the very thought of you, torture can be a very effective means to bring that about. It has to be particularly brutal and arbitrary in order to be effective. If your enemies would rather risk death for desertion than risk themselves being captured in battle against you, then you have achieved an objective through torture.

Is that how you want to be seen?

• 17R3W

Question one: Really? So everybody on Earth is some heroic John McClane type? They'll just let you torture them forever and never tell you what they know?

They tell you stuff, but it happens to be BS.

Have you not been following the news. We tutored KSM 183 times, and you know what happened?

He told us that there were bombs shoved up the butts of geese, and the FBI ran around centeral park chasing the bird.

It was a literal wild goose chase.

And that's what you think is working?

Republicans should be barred from doing anything with foreign policy for the next few decades.

They waste resources and don't even care.

- 17R3W

Torture doesn't produce intelligence. It will make people talk but there's no way to tell if their talk is the truth.

Torture is, however, fun. If done to some horrible Islamic fundamentalist who is a murderer at worst and a bigot at best, I don't really see any problem with it.

I just wish Republicans would be honest.

You support torture because you like revenge. Unlike a lot of other Democrats, I don't have a problem with revenge.

You just got to be sure the person is guilty. That's why I think we should only torture people in leadership positions in al Qaeda, people we are sure are terrorists.

The problem with torture as we do it now (and we do do it, not officially but come on, we always have and always will) is that we torture far too many people and innocents are no doubt falling in.

We declare a curfew in a town and then round up anyone who's out after dark. Torturing them would be wrong.

Torturing Ayman al-Zawahiri though, sure, I'm fine with that. He's a dick, he deserve it. It's not going to produce good intelligence though.

• WallyZ

Even the CIA claims that information obtained via torture is not reliable. The information obtained to get Bin Laden was obtained without torture. That information was released way back when Bin Laden was shot. Even before that those that are familiar with torturing for information say that the person will say anything, make up anything to stop the treatment even for a few minutes.

The movie depiction was wrong. z

• Mike S

What the studies done by those who engage in the practice have shown is that the information gathered tends to be unreliable because after a while the tortured will say anything they think will make the torture stop. There are actually more effective ways, they just tend to take longer, never-mind the effects of unbalancing on those who habitually practice it also skewing results.

Nuclear bombs work too. That doesn't mean we should nuke every country who disagrees with us.

Torture is just about the most heinous, immoral thing human beings can do. There are reasons it was outlawed in legal codes and international treaties a century or more ago. Why do you want to return to the Dark Ages? Because you are afraid of "terrorism?" Then you are a coward. Even in 2001, the year of the deadliest terrorist attack in US history, you were twice as likely to die by suicide than to be killed by a terrorist.

Nope. For ever potentially useful bit of information the CIA kills dozens of innocent captives in cold blood. Then they go on the information and found the guy made it up so they'd stop torturing him.

Real torturers are not "heroic". They are cowards and cold-blooded killers.

.

• Mike W

I'm not a big fan of torture, and don't place too much faith in information obtained under duress. There are other ways of obtaining information. Hanns Scharff, one of the most effective interrogator in Germany during WWII, never tortured anyone. The people he interrogated were unaware that he was interrogating them.

I'm not an expert on torture and neither are you. However experts on torture say it is counterproductive. I'll listen to people who know what they are talking about.

The problem with torture is that they will tell you everything you want to hear, not everything that is true.