Why is skin bleaching so shunned?

Interesting discussion I had with someone on tumblr just a minute ago. She bleaches her skin and she wants to be a white woman, I felt so sad for her because she thinks that the only way she can be beautiful is white lighter skin. I was talking to her and she threw this one at me "whats so wrong with... show more Interesting discussion I had with someone on tumblr just a minute ago.

She bleaches her skin and she wants to be a white woman, I felt so sad for her because she thinks that the only way she can be beautiful is white lighter skin.

I was talking to her and she threw this one at me

"whats so wrong with wanting to be light as possible I'm not saying that being dark is bad but its just not for me if transgendered men and woman can change their sex because they were born in the wrong body why cant I change my skin? I was born with the wrong skin."

I told her the risk of skin bleaching and etc but she also told me the risk with sex change and she was hoping some day skin bleaching would become accepted and she could also change her race on her ID.

Idk what to think.. I understand where shes coming from but...skin bleaching is saying that you aren't happy with who you are and where you come from, your mothers skin and fathers skin and the people who share the same skin tone as you.

I'm not sure about transgendered people I don't really have an opinion on it, I know any trans people personally

idk what do you guys think.
Update: I dont that we black people have a stubborn wall around us I think in ways we are close and instead of leaving someone with an obvious self hate problem to destroy themselves and their skin on a chemical level we try to help them accept and love themselves. I agree you should mind your business sometimes but some... show more I dont that we black people have a stubborn wall around us I think in ways we are close and instead of leaving someone with an obvious self hate problem to destroy themselves and their skin on a chemical level we try to help them accept and love themselves.

I agree you should mind your business sometimes but some people just need help.