Global Leadership Adventures trip?

I'd like to go on one of these to Costa Rica... has anyone been on one of these trips? I'm wondering if it's a scam. I can't find a single bad thing about it. Anywhere. Everyone on Facebook posts these amazing things about it.

If you have been on one, I have a few questions:

Do you have any free time, like to hang out with other kids?

If a 15 year old were to go, would they stick out really badly or not be included in the cliques that would form?

How did you come up with the money?

How did you convince your parents?

Favorite Answer

I have never been on one of these trips. But, in high school I was always interested in going on a study abroad like trip, so I was constantly looking. I never came across Global Leadership Adventure trips, but, if they are not a scam they should have a number you can call to contact them, and possibly even a way to meet up with someone.

Also, you may want to look into People to People Student Ambassadors: http://peopletopeople.com/our-programs/student-amb...

People to People Student Ambassador is a bit expensive, but you get to do things that you normally wouldn't be able to do. For example, on certain trips, you can meet with government official from the country you are visiting. Also, many of the trips last for over two weeks!

During my search I came across Rustic Pathways, which I would really recommend looking in to: http://www.rusticpathways.com

They offer adventure and community service trips. The community service trips vary in what you do. For one trip you might be teaching village children English, for another you might be helping care for the animals at the Australian Zoo, and at another you could be planting trees, and at yet another trip, you could be counting fish in the waters of Fiji. They do not cost all too much either (when looking at the price, keep in mind that airfare is not included). Also, these trips can be connected. For example, you could be in Australia for 10 days volunteering at the Australian zoo, then, instead of going home, you could head over to the Fiji Islands and do a little marine biology, and then head off to New Zealand.

As to how to convince parents? That is a little tricky. I was unsuccessful in fully 100% convincing them, but it was more because of the cost than the thought of me actually going away. Here is what you should do:

Try not to push it on them. Show them that you are serious about this, and understand that these trips are very costly. Do some research (like I said, I have done plenty, and you can email me if you want to), and keep your options open (look into other programs). Ask them if they will at least go to the informational meeting (they have these for People to People Student Ambassador trips, and may have them for other programs as well), that is if there is one near you. If there is no informational meeting, email for more information.

I was not able to fit everything in here, so I will try to email you (that is if you allow people to email you on here...if not, email me!) If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. As I said before, I have done a lot of research on study abroad trips, so I am quite knowledgable.

• Nancy

I think that it's super awesome that you want to do a summer service trip! I actually was looking through both organizationals while making my decision, because I was really interested in Africa! I finally made the decision to go with the GLA Ghana trip, and I couldn't be more happy with my decision. I think what really sets GLA (which ever country you end up choosing) so great is the fact that you have the chance to do so many different things in one day. In a day, you are doing amazing serve, then that same day you could go on a cultural immersion trip, a leadership workshop, or just explore different parts of the country, while in other programs it is very exploring oriented or service oriented. The fact that GLA is very multi-faceted sealed the deal for me when looking for a well-rounded abroad experience. GLA was also sooooo accommodating and truly facilitated this great journey. Everything from food to living to transportation was beyond safe and comfortable, and they gave us all the resources to be comfortable. But, they still gave us enough room to be challenged and grow! Regardless of where you go, would will be able to learn about yourself, the world around you, different people, the skill of flexibility and open-mindedness! Most importantly, you will come home with this new found sense of leadership and the drive and confidence to enact change! I couldn't have gotten that somewhere else! GLA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

you can find a free download of Amazing Adventures Around the World here: http://bitly.com/1pnRiES

Finally the full version is avaiable!

Amazing Adventures Around the World is an interesting puzzle game where you have to find hidden objects in complex scenarios.

It's a great game.

Global Leadership Adventure

Hi, I will keep this short and to the point!

The reason you cannot find anything bad about GLA is because they are an outstanding organisation.

I visited Ghana with GLA this summer, below are answers to your questions:

- Free time - yes! plenty. At lunch you will have a couple of hours, and in the evening you will have plenty of time to mingle with other students, play games etc. It's one of the key parts of the trip.

- Not at all, I'd say the average age was in fact 15/16

- Personally, my parents funded my trip, however GLA is very supportive of students who wish to fundraise, offering excellent and helpful advice.

- GLAs safety system is incredibly comprehensive and there is plenty of info for parents both on the website and via email with a GLA member of staff.

Overall - great company, no worries whatsoever.

Source(s): Personal Experience

Hello! My name is Sofia. I went on the GLA trip to India. It was absolutely incredible and completely safe. The primary focus was volunteering but we had lots of opportunities to get to know the country and did lots of tours on the weekends. It was a life changing experience and I would totally recommend it. The mentors are amazing and are focused on making sure you have the time of your life. The facilities were completely commendable and the trip overall was planned extremely well. I stayed for 21 days and I definitely wish I would've stayed longer. If you have any questions please email me at sofia10106@hotmail.com

Hey there!

I went to Ghana, West Africa with GLA this summer and I can honestly say it was the best experience ever. It is totally not a scam! The posts on facebook are all from kids who have been on the trip or are looking at going, and I don't think I've ever seen a bad review.

1. You get a lot of free time! There are breaks between your bigger activities of the day, even if it's just for meals, and you definitely form a family bond with the other students on your trip, as you are experiencing the same thoughts and feelings together. I'd say we got at least 4 or 5 hours of free time a day.

2. In my group there were kids aged from 14 to 18, and it NEVER felt cliquy. You definitely form a closer bond or friendship with one or a few of the kids, but you should try to end your trip by having at least one conversation with every student. It's not hard at all to accomplish that.

3. Raising the money is definitely a task, but not at all impossible. I would start by sending out emails or letters to friends and extended family telling them what you will be doing, who you will ultimately be helping, and what a great and life-changing experience this will be for you. Ask for a couple dollars donation! You could even set up a facebook event or a website specifically for your fundraising so that people can track your progress. GLA has a fundraising kit if you'd like to email one of the people on the site and ask for it also. I've seen people do things from babysitting or getting a job, to a spaghetti dinner or a garage sale, and they've all been successful! Just don't get discouraged.

4. Remind them how safe you will be! GLA's main concern is the safety of their students. Even if it means not doing one of the activities planned for the day. They have a five-point-safety system that would also be great to show your parents. Here is the link to the youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O787qD5-qgc

Youtube thumbnail

Also, let your parents know about the blog. GLA does their best to post a blog everyday (most of the time written by select students) depending on internet availability, and during free time, you can always call. If you need help convincing them, I believe there is also a Facebook page specifically for parents, and you can call the office in California at anytime.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Source(s): A wonderful, life-changing experience.

Hi there! My name is Haley and I'm a student Ambassador for Global Leadership Adventures. Although I have not been to Costa Rica, two summers ago I had the amazing experience of traveling to Tanzania with Global Leadership Adventures for three weeks. I can assure you, the program is most definitely NOT a scam. It was the most life-changing experience and I would trade anything to go back and do it all over again.

To answer your questions: Yes, you have tons of free time to hang out with the other kids on your program. One of the great things about Global Leadership Adventures is that they encourage you to not only learn about the country you are in, but to also learn about other places in the world through those around you. Global Leadership Adventures is unique in the fact that they have people from all over the world participate in their programs. By being able to be immersed in a new culture and surrounded by people from various other cultures, Global Leadership Adventures does an amazing job of guiding you to become a more globally-minded citizen.

The majority of students who go on the Global Leadership Adventures programs are 16-17 years old, although all students in high school are welcome to join. I don't think a 15 year old would be ostracized in any way! Everyone on the trip becomes so close, no matter your age. Of course some people become closer than others, but everyone generally gets along and has a great time hanging out with one another!

I was fortunate enough to have parents that were able and eager to afford to send me on this program. However, that being said, Global Leadership Adventures offers fundraising kits that I hear are extremely helpful. They also award a couple of scholarships, however those will not cover the full cost of the trip and you would have to apply to receive this money.

Like I said above, my parents were eager to send me on this program and didn't need much convincing. Although, like any parent would be, my parents were nervous but Global Leadership Adventures eased all of their worries. Global Leadership Adventures has a 5-point safety plan to ensure the safety and well-being of all the travelers. I never felt like I was in a scary or dangerous situation and whenever anything went wrong, Global Leadership Adventures was quick to resolve the issue. They made the preparation period extremely easy and guided us through every step of the process, which made my parents a lot more comfortable. Global Leadership Adventures also offers Open Houses at certain alumni's houses. I've hosted a couple of them myself and I know how helpful they can be when it comes to calming the nerves of anxious travelers or parents because you get to ask questions and hear answers first-hand from students and parents who have gone through the same things.

So with that, I'll leave you by saying that programs by Global Leadership Adventures are absolutely incredible. They are truly life-changing and they allow you to participate in once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. On my trip some of my favorite things were spending the weekend in a Masaai village, sleeping in tents under the stars and falling asleep to the warriors dancing around the fire, going on a two-day safari in the world-famous Ngorongoro Crater and teaching at the primary school. Not many people are able to have these experiences and they are so rewarding. I learned so much, not only about the country I was in, but also about myself while I was there. The journey serves as an amazing conversation starter (college essays/interviews!) and I could just go on and on about all the amazing things Global Leadership Adventures does!

I can promise that if you go to Costa Rica with Global Leadership Adventures, you will absolutely have the time of your life! To look more into traveling to Costa Rica or any of the other incredible countries that Global Leadership Adventures offers programs in, check out their website at www.experiencegla.com. You can also join the Costa Rica facebook page to connect with other students who are interested in or have attended the program in Costa Rica. That is the perfect place to ask any program-specific questions or to see photos from people's trips! The link to that is https://www.facebook.com/groups/GLAcostarica/?fref... I hope that answers your questions! If you have any more questions, feel free to email me at hwalk66@yahoo.com or contact the Global Leadership Adventures offices! You will be so happy you did!

Source(s): www.experiencegla.com, www.facebook.com/GLAcostarica

I am Max Bone. I'm a high school sophomore from Detroit, Michigan. Last summer I had the amazing, life changing experience to travel to and live in Cuzco, Peru for three weeks with Global Leadership Adventures. Those three weeks changed my life and my views forever. For parents who are reading this, trying to decide whether to send your child on a program to a foreign country, all I can say is you won’t regret it! I understand it is a scary thought, sending them off to a foreign country for an extended amount of time. I can assure you, you will be glad you did when your child returns a few weeks later tired, but smiling, excited to talk about the amazing experience they just had.

GLA provides these experiences through three main ways: Community Service, Leadership Activities, and Cultural Exchange Activities. The community service changes from country to country, but I have talked to who kids who have been on 10 different Global Leadership Adventures programs in 8 different countries. They have all loved the work that they were doing, felt a strong connection to the work they were doing, and felt like they were making a HUGE difference in their host community.

I am going to use my program to illustrate this. My group was building a green house out of adobe bricks in a small mountain community to help combat the increasing malnutrition rate among the youth of the Cusco region of Peru. It was amazing knowing that the work that I was doing would make a huge impact on this community for years to come. Seeing all of the hard work that we were putting in pay off and finishing 70% more than we were expected to felt so good! It helped me realize how important hard work is and how much it pays off. The gratitude that the community expressed for our hard work cannot be explained in words.

The second way that Global Leadership Adventures does this is through leadership sessions and mentor groups. This is something unique to Global Leadership Adventures that no other organization I have seen does. These sessions focus on taking all that you are learning and experiencing and applying it to your life, and asking what you will do with it when you return home. These sessions also include talking about important qualities of leaders and aspects of life such as empathy, humility, service, communication and decision making. These sessions take place in both large group settings and small group settings. I truly miss these sessions, and they are one of the things I look forward to most when I return to Global Leadership Adventures next summer.

The staff that Global Leadership Adventures has put together is also fantastic. They are all amazing, talented, smart, and inspiring individuals. I was able to get to know all of the staff really well; from the cooks at home base, to my personal mentor. There is also a large aspect placed on local cultural activities and fun. These included everything from getting my fortune told by a traditional practicing, Inca shawman, to hiking and camping the Inca trail, to visiting Machu Picchu to learning about traditional Inca medicine, to getting to dress up in Andean attire and performing a traditional dance ! These activities really gave me a better understanding and made me feel connected to the Inca culture, instead of just having knowledge of it.

Global Leadership Adventures also does an amazing job with safety. There was not a single time during my program when I did not feel safe. GLA has a five point safety system that is followed. This system includes safe and secure lodging ( the home base is ONLY used by GLA students and staff ) , caring supervision, healthy meals and pure water, expert local knowledge, and safe and comfortable transportation.

My trip to Peru last summer was a fantastic, life changing experience. All I can say to you is GO,GO,GO,GO! You will come home changed. If you have any questions about Global Leadership Adventures or the Peru program, please let me know via email at maxbone55@gmail.com . If you would like to see photos from my trip, please email me and I can share with you my Facebook page where you can view them. Parents, if you would like to hear from a parent whose child has gone on a GLA trip, and who is trusting them again with the safety of their kid (this time in Africa) please email and I will be more than happy to put you in contact with my parents.

Thank You for your interest in Global Leadership Adventures. I am so excited for you to embark on a life changing journey !