Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 7 years ago

I need help with buying a mountain bike to loose weight. A 350lb rider?

Hey I’ve decided the time has come to shift some weight, I always used to ride when I was a teenager weather it was BMX or mountain bike and I loved it.

I have a 2 year old daughter, I’m at the wrong end of 20yo and I am worried about my health, so i have loads of reasons to shift the flab.

I’ve looked at so many different forums and have looked at so many different bikes. I need help deciding on one that won’t buckle under my weight, from frame material, wheels and different manufacturers. I’m looking at spending around 200 on a decent second hand bike, will go over my 200 pound budget for the right bike.

Can anyone help me I am lost?

Thanks

Sorry about spelling and punctuation, never my strong point lol.

Favorite Answer

£200 may not be enough - even for a used bike. You're going to NEED a bicycle with 3 very important elements. 1) Double wall rims. 2) A STRONG rear hub. 3) 36 spokes per wheel. The problem being...once most people get their hands on a bike like that, they NEVER let it go unless they get into a severe financial bind.

And for riding purely on the streets - a mountain bike with the knobby tires & suspension parts may not be the best choice. Knobby tires slow you down. Suspension parts soak up your energy. If the bike has "lock-out" front forks (in essence making it a solid front fork) and city tires - it would be OK.

What I bought to haul my fat @ss around + more was a "touring road bike". This type of bike is designed to haul (or pull in a trailer) heavy loads over great distances. I would NOT sell that bike today for the same $1,200 price I paid almost two years ago.

http://www.raleighusa.com/archive/2011-steel-road/...

Another problem being - they keep going up & up in price. Similar bike sells today in the UK for £1,100. http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/... You might want to look into this one at a smaller price...

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/...

Unless you get a bike with all those 3 vitally important components - you'll be popping spokes on the rear wheel & replacing the entire thing in 6 to 9 months --- tops.

Good for trying to get some weight off. Seriously at 350 pounds I wouldn't think about cycling, the potential to do some serious damage if you fall off is too great. I would look at walking as much as you can, that burns more calories per mile anyway, till you start getting some results. Then think about a bike when you get towards say 250 lbs.

You need an eating plan as well.

BTW I can't see anything wrong with your spelling &c.

First question. Do you actually need a mountain bike? A viable mtb second hand is going to cost you your budget (Look at Pitsford Cycles though. They sell second hand and recon machines for about £150). The point is, are you going to be hitting the trails and doing lots of off road work? If not, consider a hybrid.

For about £200 you can get a viable new hybrid, ideal for road and gentle trails etc. This will allow you to put your 2 yr old in a child seat and do lots of lakes and country parks without too much difficulty. They have road wheels, but mtb comfort. So a good compromise. Specialized and Trek do particularly nice ones within the right price bracket (Check out Evans cycles web site for last years models)

A few sugestions:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/moti...

A bit traditional

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithi...

Quite fun.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-city-...

Kona do good frames for larger riders

Hope this helps

Luck

• John M

Start walking and go on a diet as you save money for a good bike. You want a good one that fits and can handle your weight. You don't want to buy something that is the wrong size and not designed for the type of riding you want to do. Go to the local bike shop and talk with them a department store bike just wont do it.

do no longer purchase THE WM motorbike....you would be apologetic approximately that purchase in approximately 6 months if it eve takes that long! yet nonetheless, you do no longer inevitably desire a $six hundred motorbike the two....DicksSportingGoods has some solid form call motorcycles and maximum motorbike shops have super motorcycles @ the two hundred-350 selection. purchase what you desire the motorbike for. once you're die no longer effortless racer, it could make experience to spend a splash money, yet once you're an truly casual rider, will possibly no longer make experience. in case you desire to keep even a splash greater $$$ AND keep the spouse chuffed (it truly is what I did) purchase 2 motorcycles @ as quickly as, one for you & one for her, and journey at the same time. The motorbike keep proprietor gave us a KILLER deal and that's something we've a good time with doing at the same time. in basic terms a concept. solid success!

As a big guy myself, I would suggest you start out with a cruiser for several reasons. First, the rider's weight distribution on an MTB is further forward and will put more weight on your arms. This gets very uncomfortable. Second, in the hunched over position the narrower seat of an MTB is also more uncomfortable than a wider cruiser seat and places more strain on your lower back. Third, you want to start out slow with short rides to avoid overtaxing your muscles. Over taxing will quickly discourage you because it hurts. So, get a cruiser with three to 21 speeds and you'll be far more comfortable and enjoy riding much much more. As you build your strength and endurance you can always buy an MTB later. I ride an Electra Townie21.

• Death

You will need a nice shock and nice frame it is going to be an awful lot more than 200 sorry.