Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 8 years ago

is the right to keep and bear arms necessary for our society to function?

examples please? xx

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. Robbers rapist and murderers will almost always succeed when people don't have weapons adequate to defend themselves against larger or more numerous people. Firearms are the only practical weapons universally useful even if the assailants are also armed with them.

However the anti-Federalist farmers and tradesmen who demanded our Bill of Rights, including our right to arms, weren't concerned about protection for personal defense arms. No one then was stupid or insane enough to suggest those be restricted. People here then were not the spoiled and sheltered little children in adult bodies they are today pretending mommies and daddies in government can protect them.

The anti-Federalists feared Federalist Party bankers and merchants sponsoring the new federalizing constitution would exploit that and their proposed "well regulated [meaning fully trained and equipped] select corps of the young and ardent" they wanted to put down rebellions like Shays's had been against Massachusetts banks.

That's why the anti-Federalists' Second Amendment dedicates that new young militia, drawn from the main militia of all able-bodied males, to first defend states from federal domination. They also registered citizens' right to military weapons for fighting with or against that new militia now called the National Guard.

Will you try to tell me commercial interests are no longer a danger for using government to make us defenseless against their exploitation? Isn't that exactly what many people with your question still fear?

Are you one of the spoiled and sheltered little children in adult bodies who pretend government will protect you from that too and not sell you out? If so what rock have you been hiding under all your life? Don't you know about powerful families still draining everyone else even in communist countries?

Source(s): For decades I studied philosophies, cultures, and social institutions. I began that because of confusion resulting from my military experience under the shadow of neo-Marxist anti-military and anti-capitalism indoctrination in the universities. I continue a forty year quest wading through the huge pile of stinking crap a wide variety of bigots dumped on top of truth hiding it from nearly everyone's view. The pile was made by blaming people they don't like while excusing people they do like regardless of where the fault really lies.
  • 8 years ago

We have been prevented from bearing arms ever since guns where made obsolete. Think about it. We now only have the right to bear arms that where invented in the 10th century.

Your question is ambiguous. What do you mean by "function"? While our current society functions quite effectively for the wealthy, many would argue that our society isn't functioning for lower income earning Americans?

• David
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

the right to keep and bear arms is critically important to defend against dangerous, violent felons.

An excellent example is the Korean Store owners in Los Angeles who fought off the rioters and other dangerous, violent felons with their AR15 self loading rifles.

• Rob
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Yes it was what ymare country was founded on, the brittish tried to raise taxes and take away the colonials guns so the colonials revolted and america was born

the second amendment is here to protect all of our rights from the government

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You have the right to bear arms in support of your nation. APDS rounds for deer and home possession of an assauktrifle isnt exactly thwe same.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

1989 guy with knife and no clothing tried to rape my wife, she gave him a 38 caliber 3rd eye. Is that good enough or would you like to be raped and maybe killed?

• 8 years ago

No, not since we now have universal suffrage as a means of resisting government malfeasance.

buckeye

• 8 years ago

Enslaved people are unarmed. (World History)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.