Bubbles asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 7 years ago

How can I get rid of *.crossrider.com from my computer?

Since last weekend I have been getting popup ads in the lower right and left hand corners of my webpages. I found instructions to remove allowed popups in my popup blocker which initially had about five or six different sites but the *.crossrider.com consistently comes back after it is deleted. I then got Microsoft Security Essentials which I found in an article states that it can get rid of malware. It found a Trojan and got rid of it but the *.crossrider.com persists. I've read various things about this with some saying it is a virus and/or spyware. I tried finding a removal tool that would get rid of this specific virus and am having difficulty selecting one that I could trust. If anyone knows of some kind of malware or spyware removal tool that will get rid of *.crossrider.com, please tell me. Thanks.

The following is for the people at *.crossrider who often respond to these questions in here. We know you are just trying to make yourselves look good or give the impression your software is something trustworthy and have made comments that it isn't a virus. Any program that is so insidious that it attaches itself through another program to someone's computer without there consent and that will not allow the computer owner to remove it, is a VIRUS. Even if it isn't spyware or able to do extensive damage, it is a form of malicious advertising (at the very least) that is constantly invading the computer owner's use of the internet and trying to force incessant commercials down the computer owner's throat. It is a malicious program. Stop trying to sweeten people up. It won't work.

In response to your repeated postings to people seeking advice on how to get rid of this virus:

"1. Go to your task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE) and click End Process if you still see the Crossrider process there."

YOU NEVER SEE ANYTHING IN ANY OF THE LISTINGS ON THE VARIOUS TABS THAT SAYS "CROSSRIDER" SO THAT THE COMPUTER OWNER CANNOT FIND IT AND DELETE IT.

"2. Close all IE instances (all IE windows).

3. Try again to uninstall Crossrider from the Control Panel's your Add/Remove Programs."

THERE IS NO LISTING FOR ANYTHING SAYING "CROSSRIDER" IN THE ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM LISTING CONVENIENTLY SO THAT THE COMPUTER OWNER CANNOT REMOVE IT.

" 4. Go to your Program Files directory and check if the CrossriderWebApps directory exists. If its still there delete it *completely*."

AGAIN, THERE IS NO LISTING IN THE PROGRAM FILES TO BE ABLE TO LOCATE IT.

" 5. Now, after it was deleted remove it (again) from your windows startup using msconfig."

THERE IS NOTHING IN THE SYSTEM CONFIGURATION SERVICES LISTING CALLED CROSSRIDER.COM TO BE ABLE TO DISABLE IT AT STARTUP. IN FACT, THE ONLY PLACE I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND IT IS IN MY POPUP BLOCKER WHICH AFTER I HAVE REPEATEDLY DELETED IT, IT JUST KEEPS COMING BACK.

Here is a video for less experienced users who might encounter the same issue as you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZnbfcAKl

Youtube thumbnail

THE VIDEO DOES NOT HAVE SOUND AND THE VISUAL IS VAGUE. THE VIDEO AND INSTRUCTIONS ARE USELESS.

"Restart your computer, and everything should be OK now.

Hope this information was helpful for you :)

Shmueli Ahdut,

Crossrider's CTO"

You keep coming in here posting the same useless information as a form of giving yourselves a good online image of some caring company. Please do not bother to respond here.

Shmueli, I've gotten viruses in the past that instruct me to purchase something from them to get rid of it. Why would I want help from the people who caused the problem in the first place? When I look in my add/remove programs, there is NOTHING that was downloaded in the month of December. This did not get onto my computer through another program. It just appeared about a week ago and will not go away. It is a VIRUS and I do not want help from the people who caused it.

Favorite Answer

These download links may prove useful:

Junkware Removal Tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-...

AdwCleaner:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleane...

This video shows the products being used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvnGAjWNSuk

Youtube thumbnail

Once you’ve run them, download the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, to try and ensure that nothing has been left behind. Install it and get updates, then run a full scan:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_ant...

Hope this helps.

Bubbles,

Crossrider is not a program on its own but rather a legit development framework that allows developers to easily build cross browser extensions.

We used to have an issue that was already solved which involved having *.crossrider.com in the whitelist on some corner cases. This is not an issue anymore and have long been fixed!

It is reasonable to assume that the popups you are seeing are not related to Crossrider but rather are invoked by another program.

You are indeed still seeing *.crossrider.com in your list, and this is what makes you be suspicious, (rightfully) in Crossrider, but as I understand from your answers to each on my instructions that no Crossrider related software is installed or running on you computer.

We can work together on removing it from the whitelist but I guarantee you that the popups themselves are not related to Crossrider.

You can feel free to contact our support: support@crossrider.com and if you wish we can go live with a remote desktop session to fix your issues and help you remove *.crossrider.com from your popup list.

Yours,

Shmueli Ahdut

Crossrider Founder & CTO

shmueli@crossrider.com

• David4 years agoReport

Have you stopped to consider that people don t want ANYTHING installed on their computer unless they choose it? If your software installs without permission, it IS malware. This is MY computer, and I get to decide what gets installed on it, or at least I should. Your software is a nuisance.

Shmueli... I am with Bubbles on this. The instructions you gave to remove crossrider are bogus and are not applicable. Even if the popups we are receiving are not from Crossrider it still doesn't explain *.crossrider still popping up in my privacy settings even after it is deleted. This is not a foreign program it is crossrider and the instructions you gave to remove them from the computer so that they will not continue to show up in the privacy settings are bogus.

So Is there anyone out there that knows how to remove crossrider from a Windows XP laptop or desktop pc can you please assist.

• Donna

Cel, I got the very same one yesterday, it is a rough one, probably from Russia. I had to go it alone, without my computer guru to help me, he wasn't home. I know what you mean about blocking you, it won't let you open the programs that will let you get rid of it. I did kick it's butt, but it took a couple of hours, it's history now. It would have been easier and quicker if could have talked to Gunny. Today I discussed what I did to kill it, and how I did it with him. I learned a great deal about trojan horses by fighting it, that's what it is, a trojan horse. You need to email me, it will take some back and forth communication. You may not have the same software on your computer as I do, but no matter, you can whoop it.

Crossrider Malware

Crossrider Virus