Have you seen DJango Unchained?

I watched it today, and I have to say it's one of the better movies I've seen in a long while. I had a few reservations about it though as far as how serious social and racial contentions were portrayed as an action semi-comedy drama flick. Do you think this was an ok move for the producers to make? Are people ready to view movies like this without negativity being spurred? What are your thoughts?

Favorite Answer

I'm Black, I saw it and I LOVED it. I want to see it again. Black people who dislike it need to stfu and calm down, in the end it is a LOVE story between two BLACK people, not mixed race, not interracial, but a Black man who will go through anything to find the woman he loves. So they say the N word a lot? Who cares! Rappers do it too and idc if they are Black and Leonardo Dicaprio isn't. It's 2013! Blapity blah blah to all of that race nonsense, lol. It's a funny movie and very well made.

It didn't offend my ancestors AT ALL like Spike Lee claims, you know that does offend our ancestors? The fact that almost half of all Black people (attending "free" public education) in this country don't graduate from high school when 170 years ago it was illegal for Black people to even learn to read. What else offends our ancestors? That most Black children today are born out of wedlock and that Black people together have the lowest marriage rates in this country when again, 170 years ago it was illegal for Blacks to be married legally and when a man and woman could be sold away from each other and their children by law. How much has changed for Blacks? Not much, which is WHY you get Blacks who are so sensitive about topics like a movie making them feel bad about slavery, because they still see themselves living in it now in too many ways. I live everyday in a way that my ancestors would definitely be proud of, I live for myself and I feel y freedom as a person to love who I want, learn what I want, go where I want and be happy about it all, so a movie like this is just a movie to me, it does not offend me because it can't, it's just a movie.

• ?

Yeah. I saw it. But the ironic part is that Jamie Foxx in real life had children by a white woman. So it should have been another actor who played that part, not a walking contradiction. Tbh, I felt that it was a movie that brought back the past and I love movies like that. I feel that black ppl today don't care about slavery and our history period. They just want to mix and diverse their selves as much as they can. Black ppl need to learn how to love their self. I'm tired of the black men who hate their skin color and try to throw off their insecurities on black women and children. No one deserves that. Hopefully one day black ppl realize the downfall of our society and how much they are contributing to it and try to change.

Myself and the family were planning on seeing Les Miserables, but Django got better reviews so we saw that instead. It was an unusual movie, but it was interesting and not at all boring.

I will see it this week but I have read all the in-fighting that is going on with Tarentino, who I do not care for as a person..I've witnessed him spitting at newsmen and don't like the use of the N word in his Jackie Brown, but Spike Lee has jumped on it but good and denies he will ever view it...but others are praising it..but I like the love story aspect of a strong, unbroken black man pursuing the woman that he loves..giving lie to the oft spoken lie that we don't value and fight for our relationships...nothing like real love and especially black love.

• Mark

Yes, it was quite good. I didn't find it to be particularly "controversial", at least any more than Quentin Tarantino films tend to be.

I haven't seen it. I'm not too fond of Tarantino's stuff.

i'm in no rush to see it but will get it when it comes out on bluray