Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

PhD in Counseling Psychology?

When I grow up I want to become a Counseling Psychologist. Ok so I had been doing A LOT of research but it going from left to right. I want to go to Mercy College to get my Master degree in counseling psychology (here's the website - https://www.mercy.edu/academics/school-of-social-a...

"Mercy College does not currently offer doctoral level study in psychology. But the Master Degree can prepare you for doctoral study. Many students advance toward doctoral programs in psychology at other institutions."

My dad told me that if I get a PhD in psychology then I can use any specialties I want to be. So I choose counseling. Getting a Master degree in psychology will take six years (right?!?!?).

I can spend two more years at a doctoral program in psychology at other institutions to get a PhD???? I already complete six years of study to get a Masters degree. It's take about eight years in total to get a PhD (right???).

1. Is it hard/competitive to get into PhD programs in counseling psychology???

2. Is there ANY universities/colleges (good ones) in NEW YORK I can apply after I attend Mercy College to get a PhD in counseling psychology.

3. Does it takes six years to get a Master Degree in Psychology/Counseling Psychology???

4. After I get a Master Degree in Psychology can I go to a doctoral program (PhD) for two more years (6 + 2 = 8 years in total. Because to get a PhD in psychology it takes about eight years.. right???)

THANK YOU!!!!!! :) :) :)

I'm NOT interest in teaching or doing research. Just helping teens/adults with their problems (see my other post for the types of problems)

Favorite Answer

If you're not interested in teaching or doing research, you would be better off seeking licensure as a social worker (requries a Master's in Social Work), a marriage and family therapist (requires a Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy), or a mental health counselor / therapist (in most US states requires a Master's in counseling or clinical psychology). PhD programs are research-oriented and are designed for people who want to go into the academia (teaching and research). Master's programs are usually geared towards people who want to work as a clinician.

Your Dad is incorrect. Master's usually takes about 2-3 years, plus 1-2 years of supervised training after graduation before licensure. PhD usually takes anywhere from 4-7 years.

Answers follow your questions:

Yes, absolutely. It's not uncommon for programs to admit only several students out of several hundred applicants.

You can look at the list of APA-accredited programs in counseling psychology here and see which ones are in NY: http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/accre...

No, it takes 2-3 years usually.

No. Even if you have a Master's degree, you still have to complete a set of APA-mandated training experiences within the PhD program itself (including 2-3 years of coursework, passing comprehensive exams, proposing and defending your dissertation project and thesis, plus 1 full year of predoctoral internship at the end -- these things take about 5-7 years total). So, you would generally be looking at 2-3 years of Masters + 5-7 years of PhD = 7-10 years total of grad school.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): PhD in clinical psychology; have worked with PhDs in counseling psychology and am familiar with their training backgrounds.