A B2
A B2 asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 8 years ago

What's one origin?

for example.

A family stayed centuries in what's germany today.

then 400 years inSavoy in the area that's Switzerland today.

then 100 years italy and then America.

If the person goes to the Swiss Area.

and a Swiss with 3 generation without

ancestors in the area, try to

make him down, and he answer,

I have an old origin here.

we are here before...

Can he use that?

you continue to mess it up.

origin it's not where the person was born.

Why does one call Mexicans, latinos even though they were born in the Usa?

Laulu,

it's a kind of what happen with japanese going back to Japan.

talking with a chinese that became japanese since the 3 generation.

No it's not...

Some people born in the Usa and are called American with Iranian origin.

Americans with Mexican origin etc.

You can have 30 years studying genealogy but you didnt learn what's

origin, the basic.

Favorite Answer

That sort of thing is up in the air if you mean ancestral origins. . For instance if your German ancestors moved to Savoy and lived there over 400 years they no doubt would have intermarried with other Swiss and chances are they would not be totally German when they moved to Italy and lived their for 100 years and probably intermarried with Italians. All your ancestors make up who you are.

This is why there are no pure nationalities, races, ethnicities, ancestries or whatever. Over the centuries people have migrated, boundaries have changed, countries have invaded others. I am amused when someone says they are a pure blooded such and such. Sounds like they are talking about their pedigree horse or dog.

My family lines go back to many countries in Europe and some Choctaw ancestry and I would never point to one and say that is my origin. Also my Mitochondrial and Autosomal testing shows ancestors from the Levantine which I acknowledge as very very likely and I had ancestors from Poland and anyone who has ancestors from that part of the world probably has a little Tartar in them. The Tartars came from around Mongolia. Understand all of our ancestors were nomads at one time.

My origin is American, more specifically Beaumont,, Texas. My ancestral origins are many things.

Edit: Latinos is a cultural term used for people who come from a Spanish speaking background. The same is for the term Hispanic in the U.S. In the long run most of those people their ancestry is Indigenous and European. Most who come across the border have more what we call in the U.S. Indian or Native Amercan ancestry. Some have some European (mostly Spanish) ancestry. They might have Spanish surnames and speak Spanish but their ancestry might not be Spanish at all.

I find your question very hard to understand. You seem to be asking "This person's ancestors lived for centuries in this part of Switzerland, but since then lived in Italy for 100 years, and recent generations of the family have been American. If this person goes to that part of Switzerland, can he use his family's history to claim that he belongs there?"

The answer is no. The fact that his ancestors lived there more than a hundred years ago may be of mild theoretical interest, but he can't claim to 'belong' there. He has no real connection with the country - it's not as though there was anyone living in his family who remembers it, or even who remembers a family member who did.

Nope.

HIS ORIGIN is HIS place of birth. His origin is America.

His ANCESTRY may be from there, but it is his ANCESTORS, origins. And only that if ALL his ancestors came from one place. He has MANY ancestors and all are different.

You will continue being confused until you use the right word for the situation. He has ancestors from different places. HE is not his ancestor.

edit

Hate to sound rude...but that is EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. Have been researching for over 30 yrs, so I think I have some clue what I am talking about.

You, my friend, are the one who is messing up, with invalid concepts about what genealogy is ...

and if you have an attitude, and will not listen to experienced persons, you will KEEP RUNNING IN CIRCLES.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'origin'. Do you mean whether your roots are German, Swiss or Italian? I suppose you mean the place of origin right, which sounds like Germany, no?

If you are really confused get a DNA test done. You can find organisations who contributed to the human genome project who for a fee can test your mtDNA and Y chromosome and tell you where your base 'origins' are right to the point where your DNA mutated into the strains it is in now. Do that and you will find your true origins.

In the very distant past yes they have ancestry in Switzerland, but they are not Swiss.

In most countries Americans who have ancestry their and attempt to pass themselves off as Swiss, Italian, French, Irish (you name the country) are laughed at because they are not of that country they are Americans. It is considered extremely rude to attempt to do this would be turned away from.

If you happen to still and relatives in the country they would be totally embarrassed and humiliated.

You would not be accepted. There have been in recent times young Americans who have attempted this and to not seem to understand. It would be the same as if someone from Europe came to the US ans because a Grandfather of theirs in the distant past emigrated to the US, this person saying they were American. Americans have ANCESTRY from European Countries, but are not OF that country.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 40+ years, Anthropologists & retired Instructor. Have visited my relatives in Europe several times, have even stayed with them, but have always been the American relative and treated that way.

well, yes you are german-swiss-italian and american. there is no limit.

Source(s): ethics