Getting an MS in Nutrition before getting an MD?

Okay, so I am very much interested in both nutrition and medicine. I'm just curious what subspecialty in medicine (most likely in internal medicine) that deals a lot with nutrition?

I am very much aware that I can just learn nutrition, browsing through books, while going through med school. But I am very much interested in learning nutrition, as a science, in the academe. I'm just curious if it would be possible to manage being a doctor and a dietitian at the same time and if so, what fields would be good intermediaries between the two?

As of now I am an undergraduate student with a Life Science degree. I have relatively good grades to get admitted to a medical school.

• Laaz
    Favorite Answer

Nutrition will be covered in medical school, so don't worry about that. While yes, a degree specific to nutrition would cover it more. You wouldn't really be a practising nutritionist AND doctor, but a nutrition degree means you could be a doctor with a strong interest in nutrition and use this information to help the patients you treat. I would hazard a guess that general practice would be the best specialty in which to utilize a lot of nutritional knowledge because your patient care is years and years rather than only when they show up in hospital or need an operation. This would work best for someone who likes the idea of holistic practice. You could always do a masters in nutrition after you've done medical school too.

Source(s): Doctor

I think it would be a good idea to learn about nutrition, because you cover very little to no nutrition in med school. And if you do, it's like the most basic nutrition course.

Maybe you should looking into getting your BS in nutrition instead. The degree covers most of the med school requirements. You might have to take like a 1 year course in ochem versus like a semester course.

And I don't think it's the most practical route of becoming an RD and then going to med school. You usually just do one or the other. If you are a doctor, I guess you can give patients information an RD would instead of passing them to an RD, which is often practiced. I'm not sure how much you can profit from this though. But I guess you're less likely to give incorrect nutrition information, which I find some doctors do from time to time.

Also, getting into the required dietetic internship program is pretty difficult - more difficult than it is to get into med school because they're more scarce. It's just something to consider. Med school is already expensive and long, so why add to your debt and spend more time in school than you need?

Source(s): BS in clinical nutrition