promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Paula asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 8 years ago

What is a good credit card for a first timer?

I want to apply for a credit card when I turn 18 so I can have enough good credit when I'm ready to get buy a car. I know about low interest and no annual fees.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

what you need to do is open a savings and checking account with a credit union bank or bank.

then if you save / put a $1000 in your savings account ,

the bank will give you a " secured credit card " and use the 1000 you have n their bank as security .

then you use the C card to pay for stuff that you would normally just pay cash for .

then each month , you just pay of the 50 or 100 $ balance that you charged that month.

no interest at all if you pay it off.

Then before you know it ,, the bank will raise your credit limit and remove your bank account as security.

So girl ! just do what i said next week .. open a bank account and ask them for a " secured credit card " even if it is just for $500 credit limit ,,that is enough to begin to build a credit history.

so the sooner you start the sooner you will begin to build your credit .

you wil have atually go to and walk into a credit union to do this . not on line .

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

The pretty, shiny one. They are generically the same, as long as you pick one with no annual fee. {you will probably be starting with a secured card, unless you get some sort of college account card.)

Interest rate does not matter because you are to PAY THE BALANCE OFF IN FULL EVERY MONTH AFTER THE BILL COMES. Follow that golden rule and you will build good credit without ever getting into financial trouble.

• 8 years ago

Almost impossible to get a card if you are under 21.

You need 1 year's worth of solid employment.

Your salary cannot be minimum wage or part time income.

It is a myth that you need credit to get a car or an apartment.

What they want to see is employment, deposits/ down payments, and sufficient salary.

100% myth that you need credit.

On credit cards, you don't pay interest if you pay in full each month.

This is the way to develop fantastic credit.

Carrying balances will cost you in interest and damage your credit.

So remember for your future - don't worry about the interest rates on credit cards.

You'll never pay them.

For now, I would worry about saving if you want a car or an apartment.

Money in the bank speaks louder than any credit card on your credit reports.

• 8 years ago

1. A "secured" credit card is the only credit card for a first timer. All other credit cards are only for 2nd, 3rd, etc., timers.

2. It is currently illegal for a company to give a credit card to someone who is 18, 19, or 20, unless the person has a cosigner, a job, or other proof of income. If you don't, then wait until you are 21.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

creditfast.com lists First Premier and Capital One (choose card offers that are for people with no established credit) as the best credit cards for new credit.

Do not apply for Citi Bank, Chase or Bank of America. Those credit cards are designed for people who have good and excellent credit.

• 8 years ago

Go to Chase credit cards.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you basically owe activity on your purchases and basically after the grace era it rather is ordinarily a pair of million month. So in case you purchase something immediately for one hundred greenbacks, you have a pair of million month to pay it off or you get activity. as long as you pay your bill off each month while your fact comes, you wont be charged activity.

• 8 years ago

visa dividend or master card capital one

low interest rates.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.