automatic transmission vs manual transmission?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of a car using manual or automatic transmission and which would be better for a new driver

• BAMF
    Best Answer

Assuming it's an electronically controlled automatic, which essentially everything in the last 15+ years is:

Automatic is easier for a beginner because there is no clutch to work, the car shifts for you. Automatics are good for towing trailers because they give the optimum torque/speed ratio, granted you can do this with a manual and towing but it's just one less thing to worry about with an automatic. Automatics are good for 4WDing because if you are on a steep hill then you don't need to release the clutch to move forward, which in the process has the risk you will start to roll backwards. You also can't hurt the transmission (more or less) because you will never redline the RPM (the computer will shift before you do), where as a manual you can.

Manuals are cheaper, and preferred for racing. There are automatic clutches that engage/disengage the clutch when needed so you just choose the gear you want, typically these have "paddle shifters" on the steering column. Manuals are more fun to most people, just because you have more control and can spin the tires and such.

Many people claim a manual gets better mileage because you can shift to a high gear or neutral and roll, I disagree because an automatic will always shift up to try and roll down a hill (and you can put it in neutral). People also say that manuals are nice because you can shift down and not use brakes on hills, this is true though automatics allow the driver to manually shift down as well (if you shift into 3rd on an automatic, the transmission will force itself to only use the 3rd gear and lower, so you can slow down).

Automatics are very nice, and unless you are big on drag racing then there's not any areas I can think of a manual is better. And for learning it's great. You don't have to pay attention to shifting, which is one less distraction on the highway.

when i started out driving, i was on an automatic..6 months later I totaled the car. I then bought a little 5 speed saturn sc, and I can tell you with 100% confidence it has made me a better driver. With new drivers I see that we are very distracted by music, phones, passengers, etc. I stand firmly by the idea that all new drivers should drive 5 speeds because it is so hard to do other things while you drive, unless you are on the highway or something, you have to constantly shift gears and always be paying attention to what you are doing. whereas an automatic you just hit the pedal and can go dream off in la la land. also manual transmissions generally can get better gas mileage depending on how you drive them and you can have more control all the time, especially in bad weather. So in short, buy a manual for new drivers, for the sake of all of us on the road.

A manual will keep a young driver like yourself focused on driving and nothing else. IMO, this trumps any advantage an automatic transmission provides.

And yes, YOU WILL get better mileage with a manual if you know how to drive it properly. My dad has been driving manual for over 40 years and can squeeze 51 miles to the gallon in an ordinary Saturn SL sedan with manual transmission. Good luck trying to achieve that with any automatic...................

Manual transmissions are much more fun to drive, but take a lot of time to learn. Also, you are still learning the rules of the road, so that just adds more pressure.

Auto's are very simple, and after you put it in gear, it does the rest of the work.

Its all depends on personal opinions.

• shawty

I have a manual and boy its sooo much fun and I have more control of the car specially when it snows...for first time driver I would recomment a manual because you do not want to mess up your transmission unless you're pretty good driving standard.

For a new driver, an auto transmission.

It's one less thing to be concerned about while driving.

A standard shift is good if you are going to be driving on poor roads, or need low gear torque, for towing.

<--- girl who knows her cars.

manual will be cheaper to fix

for autos, it really depends on the system. double-clutch DSG by vw is the best transmission, faster than any other auto or manual

but old autos are very slow and inefficient, and also can be unreliable