promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What are some nice places to go in england?

Excluding London.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I was asked this very question this year by an American that was sat next to me on a flight from New York to Nashville! He wanted to know where I would recommend him to visit if he was going to visit he UK (hypothetically). After some discussion, I decided (in order):

1) Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire

2) Lichfield, Staffordshire

3) Wales

He liked country areas and said that if you liked more "city" areas and nightlife etc, then obviously you may want to go o places that are more livelier (although there's still plenty of nightlife in the first two examples I gave)

Other places I would recommend:

Lake District

Peak District

Derbyshire (hilly areas and the towns)

Birmingham City centre (lots of shops, galleries, museum and other places of interest during the day and night)

Cornwall - very picturesque

Source(s): . Live near Lichfield, Staffs
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Durham and York are very nice. You can get a feel for the history and culture without it being too overcrowded and busy, as is sometimes the case in larger cities.

Northumberland is vastly underrated considering how beautiful the countryside is. You could go to a different place there every day for a year and there would still be a lot to see. Thrunton woods, Simonside, Rothbury, Alnwick, kielder forest, the cheviots, catcleugh reservoir, Morpeth, Amble, the islands.

There are so many nice places to visit in England that it would be impossible to list them all - these are just the ones that I'm very familiar with.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Bath and Bristol are just a few miles apart

Lovely countryside in places like Dartmoor, The New Forrest, The Lake District

Oxford is nice to walk around

Cornish fishing villages like St Ives

Guess it depends on what you are looking for... castles or landscape, architecture or activities, places to stay or just stop and take a photo.

• 8 years ago

Some good suggestions above. I would also recommend

Ludlow www.ludlow.org.uk

and the South Shropshire Hills (The Long Mynd, The Stipperstones, Wenlock Edge, Mortimer Forest)

www.visitsouthshropshire.co.uk

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • grande
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

England is different and packed with history. we've roads and cities outfitted by using the Romans cities which includes bath and York. previous York, the place manhattan gained that's call. each county is different and it relies upon what you're searching for. Then there is the Lake District it particularly is packed with mountains and tranquil lakes. There are tiny villages scattered throughout the rustic that are 1000's of years previous. study the English vacationer Board website to get extra techniques of what you're able to prefer to make certain and the place you're able to prefer to bypass.

• Stratford Upon Avon

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The Lake District

Just don't go to Whitehaven its full of chavs! And stay away from Mirehouse! Unless you have a bullet proof vest and a Riot shield!

Source(s): I live in Cumbria
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The Midlands region is a gem.......... so Warwick, Stratford, Leamington (West Mids) Leicester, Nottingaham, Newark Lincoln ( East Mids) Rutland the smallest county in England and anywhere in Rutland as is full of tiny picture box villages and market towns......and a county that 'fits' most peoples image of Old England...............

• 8 years ago

Torquay and paignton (both Devon ) snowdonia Wales, Cornwall (rugged, beautiful and steeped in history ) lands end, whitby Yorkshire, and Scotland for its people, culture history an lochs & highlands

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

@TSK: Maybe he/she only wants to go to England. Stop being so menstrual. Not every question on here is a personal affront.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.