Spanish question? how to use "lo" in a sentence?

I know that "lo" means "it" in Spanish but sometimes in Spanish sentences it didn't make sense or fit the sentence correctly... Please help? How to use it in sentences?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

"lo" is written before the verb, to mean a masculine object. In English objects are written usually after the verb , in Spanish you write "lo" and "la" before the verb

Ella lo mató - She killed him

Ella la mató- She killed her

But because in Spanish you don't need the pronouns in a sentence, you can simply write:

Lo mató- (Someone unspecified) killed him

La mató- (Someone unspecified) killed her

So If you hear someone saying "lo mató", you can ask "¿quien?" (who?), to ask who killed him; because "lo mató" only means a masculine object has died, but it doesn't say who killed him

More examples:

Lo vió- (Someone unspecified) saw him/it

Lo llavaba- (Someone unspecified) was carrying him/it

Lo pensó- (Someone unspecified) was thinking about it

Lo comió- (Someone unspecified) ate it

As you can see, sometimes "lo" means "it" and sometimes it means "him". That's because in Spanish all things have a gender: "thoughts" are masculine, so you say:

El lo pensó- He thought about his thoughts - He thought about it (lol!)

When you don't know the name of something you call it "eso". However "eso" is masculine:

No me gusta eso- I don't like it

So you can say:

El comió eso- he ate that masculine thing. Or you can say

El lo comió- He ate that masculine thing. Or you can say

Lo comió- He ate it

Hola! I understand what you mean; when i first started to learn Spanish, I had a problem with that as well.

As you know, lo means it and it must be used before a verb or attached onto an infinitive. For example..

-Lo oigo. (I hear it.)

-Puedo oírlo. (I can hear it.)

Lo can also be used as a replacement for the word "thing".

-Eso es lo más ridículo que he oído. (That is the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard.)

Other times however, lo is simply used because it goes with that phrase. As you said, it would not make complete sense to translate it.

-Lo bueno es que tengo muchos amigos. (The good thing is that I have many friends.)

-Lo peor es que mis pantalones son sucios. (The worst thing is that my pants are dirty.)

-Es lo mejor que sales. (It's best that you leave.)

-Por lo menos tienes tu perro. (At least you have your dog.)

What really helped me is you have to look at the words surrounding the lo and also, try replacing the lo with "the thing" and it should make the sentence easier to understand. I hope this helped! :]

Source(s): Studying Spanish for 5 years.

Well in some sentences there is an it but in others there isn't for example: did you like it?

Te gusto? And why did you do it? Porque lo isiste?

qqqqqqqqqqq