Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

What happened to freedom of religion?

Despite Sotomayor Ruling, Hobby Lobby Won’t Comply With Abortifacient Mandate

The Christian-owned business faces fines of up to $1.3 million per day after Jan. 1 if it refuses to provide abortion-inducing drugs in its company health-insurance plan.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor

– Wikipedia

EDITOR'S NOTE: This article is an updated version of the Dec 27 article “Justice Sotomayor Rejects Hobby Lobby’s Request for Mandate Relief”

WASHINGTON — The Christian-owned business Hobby Lobby has indicated it will not comply with the federal abortifacient mandate, despite the threat of massive fines of up to $1.3 million per day after Jan. 1 for non-compliance.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor rejected a request that the federal government temporarily halt enforcement of the federal abortifacient mandate against the Christian-owned business Hobby Lobby, The Associated Press reported Dec. 27.

The Green family, owners of the Oklahoma-based retail chain Hobby Lobby, does not object to providing contraceptives through the company’s health-insurance plan. But the company has filed a lawsuit against the Affordable Care Act’s mandate that abortifacient drugs also be funded, on the grounds that involvement in abortions is a violation of the Greens’ religious beliefs.

The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, which is representing Hobby Lobby as well as a number of other organizations and groups that have filed lawsuits against the mandate, said in a statement posted on its website following Sotomayor’s decision that the company would not provide abortifacient drugs in its health-insurance plan.

“Hobby Lobby will continue their appeal before the 10th Circuit. The Supreme Court merely decided not to get involved in the case at this time,” said Kyle Duncan, general counsel for the Becket Fund. “It left open the possibility of review after their appeal is completed in the 10th Circuit. The company will continue to provide health insurance to all qualified employees. To remain true to their faith, it is not their intention, as a company, to pay for abortion-inducing drugs.”

In her Dec. 26 decision denying the request from Hobby Lobby and a related company, Mardel Inc., Justice Sotomayor ruled the companies do not meet the legal standard for preventing enforcement of the mandate while their lawsuit is before the courts, The Associated Press reported.

Hobby Lobby sought relief from enforcement of the mandate because, as of Jan. 1, the company will face potential fines of $1.3 million per day if it declines to provide coverage of the so-called “morning after” and “week after” abortifacient drugs in its health insurance plan.

Hobby Lobby appealed to the Supreme Court after the 10th Circuit Court denied its request for relief from enforcement of the abortifacient mandate Dec. 20. The circuit court rejected the motion on the grounds that the religious burden to the Green family was “indirect and attenuated.”

While religious nonprofits are not required to comply with the mandate until Aug. 1, 2013, while the Obama administration works out the details of changes it has promised to make to the mandate to address their religious objections, other religious employers were required to begin providing co-pay-free contraceptives and related services by August 2012, or whenever they subsequently updated their health plans.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/despite-sotom...

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Freedom of Religion went out the window when Obamacare came in through the door--thanks to that rat in Judges' Robes Roberts.

• ?

Are they a business or a religious organization? They'll have to decide?

>"The circuit court rejected the motion on the grounds that the religious burden to the Green family was “indirect and attenuated.”"

This was a correct decision! Hobby Lobby is a business, nothing more.

• Sarah

Republicans tried to ban a Muslim youth center from opening in NY.

Hobby Lobby isn't required to provide BC for their employees. They are required to provide insurance options for their employees, which the employees pay for themselves through premiums.

• Absolutely nothing.

The people who own that company can still practice their religion as they see fit.

What they cannot do is force their religious beliefs on other people.

Freedom of religion also means freedom FROM religion.

i don't have faith this tale is real. in the adventure that your boss insulted your faith, you have the appropriate to document a criticism. My artwork place has quite a few Christians, a minimum of individual who's amazingly non secular and consistently has a Bible at her table. we've a minimum of two Jews, one Muslim, one lady from India who would properly be the two Hindu or Jain, we used to have one Buddhist. maximum folk at my artwork place do no longer brazenly profess any faith. i'm Baha'i, I even have one co-worker who replaced into raised Baha'i yet she would not get entangled in Baha'i events. My spouse is Hindu. I even have Baha'i and Hindu photos and artwork in my place of work. I also have a Qur'an and different non secular books inclusive of Baha'i, Taoist, Sufi and Buddhist writings. I even have Hindu and Muslim prayer beads brazenly displayed. no person has ever complained appropriate to the non secular stuff I even have in my place of work. i do no longer say something approximately faith until somebody asks me. I did experience like i replaced into being careworn at one time, yet that had to do with my having a history of melancholy, tension and panic assaults. I have been given a letter from my well-being care expert and the harassment stopped. We even have an staggering style of brazenly gay human beings at my artwork place. a pair of circumstances somebody stated something debatable approximately gays in spite of the undeniable fact that it on no account have been given to be a substantial difficulty for anybody so a techniques as i be attentive to. i used to be in an area band that replaced into notably properly-known and that i had a band flier on my wall that my boss made me eliminate (the call of the band had the observe "homicide" in it). i replaced right into somewhat annoyed approximately it on the time.

Inshallah abortion is forbidden in Islam

• ?

If they can't obey the law they should be out of business.

.

Source(s): God bless and don't forget to pray for World Peace. .