What are your top 10 favorite horse races of 2012?

What are your top 10 favorite races of 2012?

Please reveal yours:

Here's mine:

1. Preakness Stakes (I'll Have Another)

2. Kentucky Derby (I'll Have Another)

3. Breeders Cup Turf (Little Mike)

4. Belmont Stakes (Union Rags)

5. Breeders Cup Juvenile (Shanghai Bobby)

6. Travers Stakes (Alpha, Golden Ticket dead-heat)

7. Breeders Cup Ladies' Classic (Royal Delta)

8. Kentucky Oaks (Believe You Can)

9. Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies (Beholder)

10. Breeders Cup Classic (Fort Lardned)

Honorable Mention: Met Mile (Shackelford)

What about yours?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

Though it lead to much confusion & controversy, I enjoyed the excitement of I’ll Have Another, and the chance he may of given us a Triple Crown in over 34 years, the 3-year-old son of Flower Alley was on top of the equine world, everyone was gunning for him. Have to agree with your top 2 because of that. Preakness (1), Kentucky Derby (2).

After that, tough to put in top 10 in an order, however, tops my list at 3 - Alpha and Golden Ticket dead-heat in the Travers- The photo finish camera could not separate the two 3-year-olds, and for the first time since the late-1800s, the race was deemed a dead heat. Trainers Kiaran McLaughlin and Ken McPeek each embraced their horses, smiled in their own winner’s circle photos, and celebrated one of the most exciting races the horse racing world would see in 2012.

4 - Union Rags -winner of the 2012 Belmont Stakes. Trained by Michael Matz, Union Rags was one of the leading American two-year-olds of 2011 whose wins included the Champagne Stakes and the Saratoga Special Stakes. Despite a defeat in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile he was one of the early favorites for the 2012 Kentucky Derby, but finished seventh, following a poor start. Skipping the Preakness Stakes, he won the Belmont by a neck over the Bob Baffert-trained colt Paynter, (who is doing very well now). Union Rags was retired from racing in July 2012 after a tendon injury. He will stand at stud for the 2013 breeding season. Michael Matz is one of my favorite/respected trainers of all time, hence love for Union Rags.

5 - Wise Dan definitely a standout with a memorable 2012 campaign. The gelding trained by Charles Lopresti had an awesome win the Breeders’ Cup Mile in track-record time.

6 - Shanghai Bobby was undefeated as a 2-year-old with Breeders Cup Juvenile win.

Followed by-

7 - Little Mike- Breeders Cup Turf

8 - Royal Delta- Breeders Cup Ladies' Classic.

9 - Shackelford- Met Mile

10 - Fort Lardned- Breeders Cup Classic.

Now, that's a Horse Racing question :) Thx Ernie !!

• 7 years ago

1. Preakness Stakes (I'll Have Another)

2. Breeder's Cup Juvenile (Shanghai Bobby)

3. Travers Stakes (Alpha ; Golden Ticket)

4. Mother Goose Stakes (Zo Impressive)

5. Pacific Classic (Dullahan)

6. Belmont Stakes (Union Rags)

7. Breeder's Cup Ladies' Classic (Royal Delta)

8. Kentucky Derby (I'll Have Another)

9. Breeder's Cup Classic (Fort Larned)

10. Fountain of Youth (Union Rags)

• Laura
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

1. Kentucky Derby

2. Preakness

3. BC Mile (great to see Animal Kingdom looking so good, even though he didn't win)

4. Belmont

5. Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe

6. BC Ladies' Classic

7. Travers

8. BC Classic

9. BC Turf

10. BC Turf Sprint

---

Also, it's not quite in the same category, but...Eblouissante's maiden win at first asking

• 3 years ago

I particularly have many favorites- too many to checklist here. the countless greats that i know comprise: Secretariat Seattle Slew Ruffian ( her tale is possibly the saddest one in racing historic past) choose for Wand Barbaro Curlin searching for The Gold Animal Kingdom own Ensign guy O' war war Admiral Seabiscuit Battleship Hoist the Flag Nearco ( each cutting-part racehorse residing at present, in spite of region interior the worldwide, has Nearco's genes in his or her veins. All Thoroughbreds that are utilized in different activities even have Nearco in them. Secretariat and guy O'war have been the two descended from Nearco, as became into Seattle Slew.) And to a lesser quantity: Royal Delta Zenyatta Rachel Alexandra woman's secret Risen megastar Zazu Union Rags Rags to Riches wintry climate memories have faith you are able to Lemon Drop youngster Smarty Jones humorous Cide Cigar Rock annoying Ten Flatter Arch Macho lower back war front Danzig reliable Twist Bowl of plant life Hyperion ( who became right into a in demand sire interior the early days of the breed)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.