Is my Therapy dog covered by ADA ?

I suffer from multiple mental illnesses and am disabled. My doctor suggested and wrote me a perscription for a therapy dog. Am I Obligated to pay a pet deposit and is he covered. My Dr even wrote a letter to my Landlord detailing the need. And are all my bases covered?

This is a real problem im Having I live in Ohio. ADA stands for Americans with disabilities act.

Favorite Answer

No. Only legitimate service dogs are covered by the ADA, and the ADA does not apply to housing.

A "therapy dog" is simply another name for a pet which visits hospitals, nursing homes, schools, libraries and such by invitation only to bring joy to others. Doctors cannot write "prescriptions" for therapy dogs.

What you may be thinking of is what is known as an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), which is a pet that is part of a treatment regimen for a mentally disabled person. To have an ESA, one must meet the legal definition of "disabled" by the mental disability, be under the continual care of a professional psychiatrist or psychologist, and have the psychiatrist or psychologist assert that the ESA is part of the patients mental health treatment plan. A General Practitioner cannot "sign off' for an ESA. A person may have an ESA in "no pets" housing, and avoid paying any pet deposits provided they have filed a "Request for Reasonable Accommodation" and had such a request approved by the landlord before bringing the animal on the premises. If you have not followed proper legal protocol, then you have no protection under the law.

Source(s): Husband of blind woman who uses a guide dog and guide dog puppy raiser.

Therapy dogs are NOT covered by the ADA. In the eyes of the law they are considered pets. You'd have to pay a pet deposit and they are not permitted in public in no pets businesses.

Therapy dogs are pets that help numerous others, NOT their owners.

What I think he meant was an Emotional Support Animal (ESA). ESA's are not service dogs, do not have public access but are permitted in housing (if approved by the landlord) and you would not have to pay a pet deposit.

Most Dr's don't have a clue about the difference between therapy dogs, service dogs or ESA's, or the qualifications to have any. Sometimes I think they cause more harm than good.

You must be disabled, by ADA standards, or elderly to qualify for a ESA. A note from your Dr cannot give you permission to have one if you are unqualified. You'll need a note from a mental help professional (your therapist most likely fits the bill) andshow it to your landlord.

Here's some links:

Hmmm . . .oddly enough, service dog central is down. I'll come back later and try to include the link.

Here's some general information:

http://emotionalsupportanimals.org/category/emotio...

.

Source(s): Service dog owner/handler and ADA service dog law violation investigator
  • ?

If you have the doctor behind you then yes your fine. Fido goes where you go. A therapy dog is uses for anxiety and PTSD and such other problems. Just like a seeing eye dog its against the law to refuse you service because of your dog. ADA will cover you in most cases. I just hope you really have a problem and need the dog and arnt scamming the system.

• LILL

No. The landlord is only required to accept a trained CERTIFIED service dog. Either way, you are still required to pay a deposit and/or fee. "Therapy" dogs are not recognized by the ADA.

Nope. Your post is an obvious hoax.

Have you thought of every conceivable problem with every conceivable entity? Duh... no.